Like Tree5Likes

Broadband - best deals?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Is anyone using I-Cable ? I might switch to them seeing as I only have low usage requirments.

PCCW just quoted $298 pm for 8mb 2 year contract and $680 install fee! I'm going to try HKBN.

Quote Originally Posted by WMDS:
    I wanted to update my hkbn experience. The installation guy came on time, he even called me before he went up to the flat. He installed the fiber and connected it up to my router within an hour. So far it has been stable, no disconnections, the only downside is that I would have to upgrade my router which only supports 100M. I am glad I am not paying pccw the same price for 300M.
    My experience so far has been very similar to yours.

The HKBN technician came yesterday afternoon to install the cable in my flat (going up to the roof?). Not sure whether it was fiber optic or whatever other kind there can be but it was a pretty stiff, bright orange cable. He fed it in from the telecommunications port and went to the hallway outside in the common area of my floor. Then he was gone for a while, which is when he may have gone to the roof.

Similar to your experience, he called about two hours ahead of time to confirm our appointment. HKBN told us he would come between 2:30 and 4:30pm. He called around 1pm and said that he would come by around 3:30pm. I think he arrived some time between 3:30 and 3:45pm.

He spoke little English so I used my broken Cantonese to communicate with him. He was nice and answered any questions I asked. I saw him cutting up cable to make an ethernet connection. I need an ethernet cable to connect to my receiver so I asked if he could make me an extra one and he did so without hesitating. The connection took quite a bit of time but I was in no rush, so the fact that it took about 2 hours was ok with me.

So the package that I am signing up for includes 100M Internet, Residential Landline and some TV channels (includes a number of Discovery channels, Animal Planet, Syfy, CCTV channels, a number of Chinese channels, others too but I had to go to my hockey game so I didn't get a chance to check for more). The technician told me that we would get access for the remainder of yesterday and then it will go off until we finalize our cancellation with PCCW. As of today, the TV channels does not seem to be working but the Internet connection is still working so I am going to try and do some tests. So far, as I jump back and forth between my HKBN and PCCW connections, the HKBN connection is clearly faster. Is Testmy.net a good website to use for testing?

I have the same problem as you. The technician said that I should buy my own router because the one that they give is really crappy. I tested this by using my Note 2 and checking the wifi connection of both services as I leave the room with the modem. The HKBN connection deteriorates quickly after I leave the room while the PCCW connection remains pretty strong. How do I know which router would be best for my situation?

I'll update with my test results later but please let me know which is the most reliable website to use for this.

I upgraded my router to the asus ac68u. It supports 1G link and my apple devices are on AC so its a no brainer for me.

Quote Originally Posted by WMDS:
    I upgraded my router to the asus ac68u. It supports 1G link and my apple devices are on AC so its a no brainer for me.
    I asked the technician which router I should buy and he did mention ASUS first. I have a few macbooks being used around the home and iPad, Touch (kids), iPhone (wife) and Apple TV. What is AC?

Quote Originally Posted by Rayzilla:
    I asked the technician which router I should buy and he did mention ASUS first. I have a few macbooks being used around the home and iPad, Touch (kids), iPhone (wife) and Apple TV. What is AC?
    It's the new and latest wifi standard where the speed of download/upload is faster than current/previous standards. I don't want to sound like a geek (too late I know) but I have an iphone5s, Ipad air and macbook pro which all support AC wifi and my Asus works fine with it. I did think about buying the apple airport extreme but the Asus provides more features and better performance for the same price.
    Last edited by WMDS; 31-07-2014 at 01:32 PM.

Thanks for that information. I just did a quick look at some reviews of the AC68U and it looks pretty impressive. How much does it go for in HK and is it pretty much a fixed price in HK or would it be cheaper in SSP? Just need an excuse to get out there again.

Thanks.

Here is the test result of my PCCW connection. Something must be wrong with the connection:

And here is the test result from my HKBN connection. Much better:

Last edited by Rayzilla; 31-07-2014 at 01:58 PM.
    WMDS likes this.

I got my Asus AC68U for 14xx at SSP basement floor. It is widely available across all floors.