Looking for inexpensive housing options

Closed Thread

Looking for inexpensive housing options

Hello Hong Kong,

I'm looking to move from CT, USA to Hong Kong in November-December 2007. I'm interested in finding as inexpensive a place while not being in the ChungKing Mansions (sp?), heh.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm moving to begin an import/export business with my business partner back in the states, but my initial finds are limited to say the least. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd even consider trading my cooking and cleaning skills for a room.

Thanks in advance,

Bryan Flint

• Are you looking for living space and office space to be one in the same location?
    • Are you seeking separate locations one for living & one for office?
    • Considering the nature of your business is it safe to assume that you will be traveling to and from the mainland frequently?

In another posting you mentioned your monthly budget was about 7k-8k some possibilities to explore are:

The New Territories offers most for the money. There are several areas such as along the KCRC (train). If you think that you will be commuting to Guangdong frequently then this maybe an viable option to consider.

Although, if the locations you will travel to more than others are accessible via ferry (Zhongshan, Zhuhai, etc.) then you may want to consider someplace near a ferry terminal.

Another, option is the Southern Kowloon Peninsula - such as Tsim Sha Tsui, Jordan, Yau Ma Tei, Hung Hom, Tai Kok Tsui, Mong Kok

Hard to find inexpensive, nice places in HK. I second looking in the NT.

Are you looking for short term accomodation ?
    We can rent you a room for HK$4,500 per month fully furnished.
    near Wanchai MTR. Very Convenient location.
    Surrounded by shopping and restaurants.

We have a big apt. and we travel alot.

Bryan,

(Assuming you do not hold HK Right of Abode) You are aware that doing what you have described is in breach of immigration rules aren't you?

what do you mean? starting a business w/ people in hong kong?

i've known foreigners who have set up shop in HK.

could you please direct me to where to read up on this to make sure i'm not in violation?

i'll have a working visa and a normal job, btw.

Last edited by bryanflint; 22-10-2007 at 12:46 PM.

"Moving" to Hong Kong without some sort of visa that permits you to reside here. You can't (legally) simply enter Hong Kong on a Visit Visa with the intention of setting up a business and residing in Hong Kong. To do this legally I think you would need an Investment Visa.

From this page: http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/faq_hkv.htm

Q3: Do I need a visa for Hong Kong for the purposes of education, employment, training, investment and residence?

A3:

As a general rule, any person other than those who have the right of abode or right to land in Hong Kong, must obtain a visa before coming to Hong Kong for the purpose of education, taking up employment, training, investment or residence. Please click here for more information.
    Now that's not saying that people don't do what you are proposing, but you should be aware of the risks.

oh, no... thank you for your concern but i am taking care of the proper visa requirements.

i wasn't suggesting just flying out and staying.. i eventually plan to become a permanent resident and i'm going through the appropriate measures to do this legally.

but again, thank you for clarifying.. had i not understood this already i could've been in some serious trouble!

OK - fair enough. But also be aware that having an Employment Visa only allows you to work for the company sponsoring that Visa. It is against the law for you to undertake any other employment (even unpaid or charity work) whilst residing in Hong Kong on such a visa without the explicit permission of the Immigration Department.

hmm... that's not good... especially consider I already promised some volunteer work for the local YMCA.

I guess I'll have to look into an investment visa... something tells me they won't accept my application considering my venture is not a part of an established company as of yet.

*sigh*

this isn't getting any less complicated.