Like Tree5Likes

What to do with unused foreign coins?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What to do with unused foreign coins?

After travelling to different countries, I've ended up with some left over foreign notes and coins, many of the currencies I'm unlikely to use again in future.

Anyone know if there's anywhere in HK these can be exchanged into HK dollars?

There may not be a large sum of some of the currencies to make exchanging worthwhile.

In the UK, there are many charities that accept and can find value to any left over bits of foreign money. Anyone know if there are any of these charities who accept and can make value of these donations in HK?

If you fly Cathay they have a program where you can donate your coins/currency, they mention it on flights as well. Some airports have donation boxes as well.

you could make a necklace or sculpture out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by lingc:
    If you fly Cathay they have a program where you can donate your coins/currency, they mention it on flights as well. Some airports have donation boxes as well.
    Every Cathay flight has the "Change for Good" envelopes available. Put the weights in there. I normally add a few 20s to counterbalance the heavy weights and then give it to the nearest smiling attendant.

I never knew that it has been running for 20+ years:
    Cathay Pacific - About Us : Community Relations

I've also got a load and am unlikely to get on a plane until at least Christmas, is there any way to donate directly (the site just directs you to an online payment system and bank details)?

Most airports have charity boxes. I usually just put the majority in there and save a bit for the next time, incase I'm transiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    I've also got a load and am unlikely to get on a plane until at least Christmas, is there any way to donate directly (the site just directs you to an online payment system and bank details)?
    You can drop off money (foreign, coins, whatever) at the UNICEF office in Happy Valley.

Hong Kong Committee for UNICEF office: 3/F, 60 Blue Pool Road, Happy Valley, HK

(For enquiry, please contact our Fundraising Department at 2833 6139 or at [email protected])
    Satay Sue likes this.

You can melt them and make a sword...

Then sell it to like HK#1

Last edited by Creative83; 21-08-2012 at 12:00 PM.

Dont try to give them to the local beggars....they give them back with a healthy dose of stank-eye.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast