Like Tree1Likes

Auctions in Hong Kong (not online, and not high brow)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Auctions in Hong Kong (not online, and not high brow)

I was trying to find a auction house in Hong Kong. Not the kind where they sell Fabergé eggs, cars or condos, but somewhere where you pitch up and its stuff like second hand furniture, electronics etc I would have thought with the amount of people leaving HK and needing to sell their stuff, as well as those moving in with not wanting to fill their place full of Ikea stuff it might have been a bit of a winner. Any thoughts? Is there such a place?

I dont reckon there is for such stuff, dont forget auction houses needs to take commissions, the seller is not going to be left with much.

Most people post 2nd stuff on the internet.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

"the amount of people leaving HK"

I don't remember such auctions in the 90s during the height of people leaving Hong Kong. But then in a place where "second-hand" isn't so popular why would they be...?

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    "the amount of people leaving HK"

I don't remember such auctions in the 90s during the height of people leaving Hong Kong. But then in a place where "second-hand" isn't so popular why would they be...?
    I didn't mean it as in "rats leaving a sinking ship" lol. I meant people rotating out for a few years then returning to their home countries. Lots of tooing and frowing having seen a lot of my colleagues come and go in the last 5 years. Commissions are something like 15% from buyer and from seller, so not that bad. I was just wondering as I'm not a snob who sees anything wrong with having a set of drawers, well made from the past, not antique, but not new chip board from Ikea. just gets a bit boring checking out classified adds and shleping yourself around all over town when popping into an auction house would be a lot easier.

...so nothing exists I take it?

Quote Originally Posted by pseudolus:
    Commissions are something like 15% from buyer and from seller, so not that bad.

...so nothing exists I take it?
    15%, Too much la

Nothing exists for such low money objects, rent costs, personal costs, transportation costs. Its too much for such small value items.

Online is the way

They exist all over the UK though. As do charity shops. I guess there must be a thing against second hand stuff in HK.

the reason why there is no auction house/business is that there is no demand, why charge a really high commission 15% for something you can do for free or nearly free on the internet (other hk asia expat classified, this site or locallly used probably get a higher price yahoo auctions or the rarely used gumtree)

btw, most people WHO can't be bothered with selling online via classified usually give these items for free on the expat sites

it's noted that ebay charges at 12% (which is the same rate as high end auctioning houses christies and sotherbys) that already pricey, but at least they have potentially half of billion buyers as well as protection for sellers and buyers from dodgy scams, rip off artist and criminals, also rarely used in HK only used to sell overseas to the west to take advantage of relatively cheap hk postages

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I guess there must be a thing against second hand stuff in HK.
    Umm no that isn't the reason in my opinion, its more likely an ability to pay rent issue, and auctions require large viewing areas etc which for a lousy 15% on such small monetary transactions, isn't economically viable.

Auction houses seem to be the Sotherbys variety here, offering only high value items, not household bric a brac...

The various expat classifieds are generally the best route to sell/buy quality used furniture, especially custom bespoke solid timber pieces, or Tequila Kola and Shambala items that hold their used value and are unlikely to end up in land fill like MDF / vinyl wrap crud from Ikea or Seahorse and the like...
    Last edited by Skyhook; 21-08-2012 at 12:02 PM.

Just asking if there was a place here thats all.I don't think 15% as a buyer is too much to pay. Say you want a dining table. By the time you jump around HK a few times looking at items you would easily pay more than the 15% in transport costs. I would never buy furniture and the like without seeing it first; a lot of tat about basically, and not everyone likes to pay massive amounts of cash for poorly built modern stuff.

Besides which - i actually like going to an auction. Sure I always end up buying some other crap I did not want and never needed, but just going is fun enough.

Also, on an occasion where i left HK for a couple of years, I advertised loads of stuff to sell and it was a right pain in the caboose to hand around, people not showing up, coming and offering you 1/4 of your asking price thinking you had no choice. As a seller, I would have taken a hit just to be rid of it all in one swoop.

Last edited by pseudolus; 21-08-2012 at 12:03 PM.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I remember Ex-Furniture from some years ago. Too many people getting rid of stuff and not enough people buying it. In a place where people won't buy a flat if they know someone died in it...

There are auctions for bankruptcies (personal and business) with furniture, jewellery, etc. to keep an eye out for.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast