Like Tree9Likes

Cheap Food stores?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Maybe, but Wellcome and ParknShop get done for similar things (most recently that I recall was ParknShop being done for mislabelling fish as some more expensive type)

bookblogger likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    Maybe, but Wellcome and ParknShop get done for similar things (most recently that I recall was ParknShop being done for mislabelling fish as some more expensive type)
    百佳超級市場 - ç»´åŸºç™¾ç§‘ï¼Œè‡ªç”±çš „百科全书

yes, oily fish as more expensive cod

No matter, mislabeling could be seen as a mistake (at best) or corruption (at worst) but still its pretty far away from "horror"...

Another chain to look out for is Prizemart - the selection ain't great, and varies by the week, but it usually has stuff like muesli at <$25 per kg, ground coffee at about $35 per 500g.
    DCH (Dah Chong Hong) is another place to try.

P.S. I haven't had any problems with Kai Bo.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    Hubby read in the paper about a year ago that they were cuttibg their mince beef with mince pork....but selling it as beef.

Sent from my GT-I8150 using GeoClicks Mobile
    So? It's all minced meat at the end of the day!

Quote Originally Posted by chingleutsch:
    Another chain to look out for is Prizemart - the selection ain't great, and varies by the week, but it usually has stuff like muesli at <$25 per kg, ground coffee at about $35 per 500g.
    DCH (Dah Chong Hong) is another place to try.

P.S. I haven't had any problems with Kai Bo.
    Prizemart is good for western goods at discount prices. I know there in one in Tuen MUn (much too far for you) and it's always PACKED. (It's a tiny store and normally has so many people in there that there is a queue just to get into the store! Mostly mainlanders with suitcases taking western goods back to SZ).

DCH Foodmart is another good one for decent food at discount prices.

Wetmarkets as already advised.

But also check out any small grocer shops in your area. In HK, small shops often sell cheaper than supermarkets (hard to believe coming from the UK I know, but it's true). The small pharmacy stores often have great deals of bulk buys of tissues and toilet roll and shampoo etc. Much cheaper than supermarkets and "brand" pharmacies.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Prizemart is good for western goods at discount prices.
    This is true but there is one bad thing about Prizemart. They always seem to stock trans-fat versions of popular items.
    eg: Nutella, various biscuits and cookies, other assorted snacks. These name brand items are all sold in North America without transfats. Alas, if you buy them from Prizemart, they only seem to sell the trans-fatty versions.

Read labels carefully if you are concerned about your trans fat intake; but otherwise, excellent prices for name branded items.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I thought much of the branded stuff in Prizemart wasn't made in the US but comes from a country south of here where the stuff is made presumably under licence and where, again presumably, there is no ban on trans-fats.

The Spratly Islands?

I thought Jack Sprat could eat no trans fat.

I just wanted to thank you all for your help. I now shop at Park n Shop and the difference in prices (especially when it comes to fresh fruit) is huge. I gave up with the idea of cooking for myself because canteen at the uni is so cheap.

HowardCoombs likes this.