Like Tree23Likes

cheapest place to buy pampers diapers?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

However, in the West, plenty of people buy cheap "no-brand" nappies for their babies, which are perfectly good at a fraction of the price of the "huggies" or "pampers" brand names. At the end of the day, most of the benefit of the brand names comes NOT from the quality of the product, but from the advertising! When my father was a building contractor, he said he saw production lines (in this case of make-up) where exactly the same stuff was coming out of the machines and just getting diverted into different packaging .... I suspect exactly the same is true of nappies.

It just seems to me that Mainlanders in particular are extremely brand conscious rather than quality conscious - I agree - quality (of all kinds of products) is important; buying brand names is NOT the equivalent though.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    However, in the West, plenty of people buy cheap "no-brand" nappies for their babies, which are perfectly good at a fraction of the price of the "huggies" or "pampers" brand names. At the end of the day, most of the benefit of the brand names comes NOT from the quality of the product, but from the advertising! When my father was a building contractor, he said he saw production lines (in this case of make-up) where exactly the same stuff was coming out of the machines and just getting diverted into different packaging .... I suspect exactly the same is true of nappies.

It just seems to me that Mainlanders in particular are extremely brand conscious rather than quality conscious - I agree - quality (of all kinds of products) is important; buying brand names is NOT the equivalent though.
    I would never encourage to only go for branded stuff - I´m totally with you on that one. And I am well aware/experienced within the world of licensed items/OEM production etc. BUT....for diapers I can so far conclude that the most expensive are by far the best - at least from what I have been able to test (not on myself ) here in HK and my home country.
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:

Come on, you are talking about PRC, we can't compare the "WEST" with it, two different worlds.

i buy them ( huggies, pampers and most of ones i buy is a jap brand called g.oon) at baby convention ( free delivery) directly from the distributors, cheapest price far cheaper than any store, i buy them in bulk, the next one is in feburary, luckily i have a entire carton of the next size until then

TheBrit likes this.

I have a two and a half year old born here so will talk from ACTUAL experience rather that some of the BS that is being written here by the usual suspects. Geobaby ( with respect ) seems populated by expat mothers that seem to be a little bit too precious for my more practical taste. Mother does NOT know best if she cannot understand a label and trust to judgement. My daughter is super healthy, got into KinderG at the first go, is as tall as a local 4 year old and has the energy level of an Avengers stunt double. I think we have brought her up ok.

Stay away fro Pampers and Huggies etc. They are over priced and use perception to sell rather than useful performance. The same goes for milk product.

We have found that PetPet is a great brand and bought through the local chemist store, a lot cheaper. New Born ( I think ) works out about a dollar a diaper. We are now on Large ( pack of 48 = 60 bucks ). I live in Tai Po but have bought for the same on the Island. Your baby will be filling them up at a prodigious rate so leakage factors etc have a very small reasoning for not buying. Expensive brands leak as well, it's all a matter of perception.

There is a thin own brand diaper in Wellcome and we would use it only in the winter as an emergency. The materials have caused some problems for my normal healthy child in the hot summer conditions.

In regard of milk - go with famous brand that they try and push on you ( labelled as scientific trial size to overcome the ban on promoting baby milk in hospitals ) at birth - ONLY IF YOUR REALLY INSECURE NOT TO UNDERSTAND THE CONTENTS LABEL. Milk comes from cows. End of. There are no super cows that produce super brain making milk. Vitamins and DHA are not going to give your kids a PhD. Most locals use Snow Brand. There has been a small scare with it this year but it was batch related and the report makes it clear that if it was sold in Japan, US, EEC or Australia (The brands Japanese but it's made in Australia) then it would have been OK. HK has some excessive standards I think and quote WHO at everyopporunity. Everyone continued to buy it even so. At your local chemist it is much cheaper ( by around 30% in some cases ).

Your local chemist is NOT Mannings or Watsons and is cheaper for everything from shampoo and soap to baby wipes and formula. It goes against intuition if your a westerner and just proves how much the majors here take the piss on a ) prices b) blatant false price discounting.

FYI - South Seas have a superb multi vitamin orange syrup that we use for my daughters daily drink . 60 bucks in Mannings and 45 in a Chemist next door with the same expenses ........................ WTF???

Any real questions just PM me and be glad to help you save some money.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    i buy them ( huggies, pampers and most of ones i buy is a jap brand called g.oon) at baby convention ( free delivery) directly from the distributors, cheapest price far cheaper than any store, i buy them in bulk, the next one is in feburary, luckily i have a entire carton of the next size until then
    in reference to prices, huggies was slightly under HK$1 per nappy ( larger pack , new born, also the smallest nappy around (up to 3.5 kg, others at less than 5 kg)), unless ur kid is small, only used them for the first two weeks), pampers (was free samples, but the cost as far i remember at HK$1.2ish ), g.oon apparently the best apart from the wetnes indicator is harder to see, but seem to be less leaks from my boy, was around HK$1.3 per nappy, i purchased box of 4 x newborn and box of 4 x small.

I am a little bit lucky as a lot of my friends send us nappies as gifts thus we did try quite a few brands to both of my boys. Other than price, the cutting really makes the diff. It seems that Pampers ultrathin NB works best for my older boy, while the Huggies NB works best with the youngest. One of my colleagues said the Toy'r'us brand nappies does the best job for his daughter.

TheBrit likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    You are normally pretty good a googling, feeling in a holiday mood this morning?

Here is a good one : http://www.squidoo.com/diaper-review
    The answer is UpTo 50% cheaper (I love those magical words, "up to")

Boris provided a good answer though. We used PetPet as well back in the day when our kids were in diapers.

As for all the scare stories - they are just that, scary stories. Parents should try some off brands and see if the savings are worth it for them.

for other general baby stuff (especally items used on daily basis, buy them in bulk), i use this shop, seems to be cheapest ( unless wing on has a super sale once or twice a year) based in prince edward, also brought my car seat ( cheaper than other places) there and other major items, free delivery on purchases at HK$1500, prices are cheaper when you register and join the member, simple sign in or just go to the shop, puchase something and they register for you ( as registering is in chinese)

http://www.bbcare.hk/index.php?page=product

Original Post Deleted
    I don't know you having not met you so will not broadcast any comment on your status or education. HOWEVER ............

Really??? REALLY???? Seems like I find a person who as a parent might have no understanding of what his partner is going through and just hand of any and all problems to the nanny. "Stop complaining woman" might be a credo in your household.

Point 1) Breast is best. Mmmmmmmmmmm. So your saying we are not good parents by not breast feeding?
    Maybe your a 44DD western woman with 6 kids who has a Niagara Falls flow rate. Otherwise I would offer this advise ... open your eyes and look about.
    Local woman, my wife ( Chinese mainland ) included, do NOT have large mammary glands. When a new born baby needs feeding every two to three hours, when does mum, with the baby taking two to three hours suckling to get enough "natural" milk from small breasts with limited flow rate / reservoir capability, get any rest?

Invariably, mothers TRY to breast feed but quickly understand for their own sanity .... to get to the formula. The OP had a side question on milk. So it's a choice. HAVING SEEN HOW MY DAUGHTER THRIVED ON IT -- Choose between a suicidal, sleep deprived new mum or a well balanced family unit where Dad shares the load and allows mum to sleep and rest, using formula to satisfy the newborn bundle of pure joy .. lets take a vote on that among mothers.

Maybe your answer would be to roll over and tell her to stop complaining. "Breast is best dear. Carry on old girl and don't make a noise. I have to be at work in the morning."

Point 2) So your saying I don't feed my daughter a well balanced diet?? OK you got me - it's Coke and Doritos all the way in our house. Lets also not forget it's only take out in this house also. MSG is SO good for a growing child.

For the amount of money it costs every day, I feel its well worth the effort to ensure she has a basic foundation of vitamins daily. Especially in these formative years. My little darling will eat anything and everything you put in front of her BUT ... if we are to give her a sweet drink .. lets make it as healthy as we can and this orange multi vit is REALLY good for that purpose.

You may gaze upon my daughters flawless skin, clear eyes and bright white teeth to judge if what we have done is correct and if I am qualified to comment. I am confident a vote would confirm it.