cheese?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Moving

Think it's a weird American thing
    Like calling a main course an "entree".

But with Moving, a casserole being meat and veg in a stew. A cheese casserole... *shudder*

Block cheese is cheaper than the pre-grated stuff. So, as previously suggested, get a grater and buy blocks.
    MovingIn07 likes this.

I tend to buy cheese when it is reduced in price (Those nice yellow stickers) but hey I'm just a peasant. It does feel like you're getting a bargain but then again I was forced to eat a whole camembert in 2 days recently so it's probably not a good idea.

rani and chris_yang22 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    I'm no expert on cooking but it seems that *many* casserole dishes do contain cheese:
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=101348850
    From that article I can see that US 'casserole' = UK 'bake' - I.e. something you cook in the oven.

Reading the first few paragraphs I am especially intrigued by the idea of toppings!!:

topped with crushed potato chips

a crushed Ritz cracker topping

From cornflakes cereal to trendy Japanese panko crumbs, the topping gives the casserole the necessary crunch
    Oh wow!!!
    Last edited by justjoe86; 14-05-2013 at 10:22 AM.
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    Cheese soup?? I know I shouldn't say it but.....*big sigh*....Americans
    When I first married, my hubby offered to cook one night. He called it his 'Special Spaghetti with Sauce'

He proceeded to mix one can of Campbell's tomato soup and one can of Campbell's cream of mushroom soup in a pan and heat them up (undiluted). He then plonked a batch of spaghetti into boiling water. Back to his 'sauce' he added some tabasco sauce and black pepper. Noodles were done so he turned off the gas. We stood in the kitchen waiting while the sauce simmered and the spaghetti continued to cook in the hot water.

I was then served with the very overdone spaghetti, topped with two cans of undiluted soup flavoured with tabasco sauce. He then produced a green tube of powdered cheese. I renamed it his 'Special Two-Soup Sauce Spaghetti with Sawdust on the side'.

Needless to say I never had that dish again and have since shown him how to cook spaghetti sauce from scratch to be served with al dente pasta, topped with freshly grated pecorino romano. He's never looked back!

All you never needed to know about casserole...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casserole

At least he didn't name it 'special sauce'

Fiona in HKG likes this.

In danger of this turning into a cooking thread I found that if you use garlic, onion, minced beef, tinned tomatoes, lea and perrins, a bit of red wine, tomato puree, a spoonful of pesto (easier to find than basil), oregano, simmer it until quite thick, add some salt & pepper you get a pretty nice bolognaise sauce. Tabasco to taste. Oh and top with mature cheddar/ parmesan. I cooked it for my wife who previously preffered dolmio and we never buy dolmio anymore. Result!

Fiona in HKG and forgetmenot like this.

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    All you never needed to know about casserole...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casserole
    From the first paragraph:

In British English, this type of dish is frequently also called a bake, coinciding with the cooking technique used to cook casseroles.
    Step by step directions for butchering a language.

Step 1: Take a word of your choice. In this example we use 'casserole'
    Step 2: Change it to mean something else. If possible just over generalise or dilute the meaning. Change spelling if you feel it has too many letters.
    Step 3: Mention the 'British English' meaning as dismissively as possible, as if it is some kind of distant dialect.

Saying that, fair play - at least it's not called a cazzerole.
    MovingIn07, INXS and usehername like this.

Indeed. There's no way that lasagne (to use an example from that wiki page) is a type of casserole in English.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    In danger of this turning into a cooking thread I found that if you use garlic, onion, minced beef, tinned tomatoes, lea and perrins, a bit of red wine, tomato puree, a spoonful of pesto (easier to find than basil), oregano, simmer it until quite thick, add some salt & pepper you get a pretty nice bolognaise sauce. Tabasco to taste. Oh and top with mature cheddar/ parmesan. I cooked it for my wife who previously preffered dolmio and we never buy dolmio anymore. Result!
    Always carrots and celery in a good bolognese But I agree...anything cooked like that with a bit of love and patience will give better result than glass/can. And for a pasta dish a good cheese topping can save almost everything anyway - I´m getting hungry....
    Fiona in HKG and justjoe86 like this.