Like Tree48Likes

$12K/mo enough for living in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

6k for expenses other than rental is way too much.
    Utilities is almost zero unless you run aircon quite often.

Under 3k if you are very frugal, 3-5k for having a more convenient life. The key is dont eat out so often.

Search similar threads, plenty of them here

That said, I would not come to HK if salary is low.

Last edited by Morrison; 13-08-2013 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    Could be $12k CAN.....
    Very unlikely. In that case company would pay him a trip here just to get an impression of the place before he signs up. It's a different league, son

Original Post Deleted
    You are correct, of course. I've been married so long (wow!) that it didn't even occur to me to think of it from a single-person's point of view. Although our place does have 2 bedrooms, I'd probably have a hard time sharing the little tiny kitchen or living room with a stranger.

Original Post Deleted
    There are many overhead expenses that do not simply get 'halved'. i.e. internet, electricity in general (costs the same to light the living room and tv for 4 people as it does for 1), cable, etc.

If you eat at home, then a meal cost around $12-$15, breakfast maybe $7. If you use that number it's around $36 per day, so ~$1200 per month.

Then there's transportation. Can't say, really depends how far you live from work.

Rent, as you said, can be as low as $6000.

2 types of bills: water/electricity/gas, cellphone/broadband.

That's it.

Last edited by Creative83; 13-08-2013 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Creative83:
    A cooked meal cost around $12-$15, breakfast maybe $7.
    By "cooked meal" I assume you mean a plate of rice with a slice of spam and one piece of choi sum? And "breakfast" you mean one slightly odd, slightly sweet bun. If you do that and drink only water then yes you might get by on $36 per day, but would someone move from Canada for that lifestyle? Really? It would be good for losing some weight though that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    By "cooked meal" I assume you mean a plate of rice with a slice of spam and one piece of choi sum? And "breakfast" you mean one slightly odd, slightly sweet bun. If you do that and drink only water then yes you might get by on $36 per day, but would someone move from Canada for that lifestyle? Really? It would be good for losing some weight though that's for sure.
    I've edited my comment and said 'eat at home'.

I'm thinking brand name muesli cereals + milk or egg / spam / bread / sausage.

Cooked meal as in buying a whole $35 chicken and spread it into 5 main dish meals, then add your cheap carbohydrate along with wet market vegs or just boil soup noodles/pasta and put your $12-$15 ingredients inside.

Somewhere along those lines.
    Last edited by Creative83; 13-08-2013 at 07:27 PM.

5 main dishes from a $35 chicken? For an adult?

Sure, why not?

You still got $7-$10 left to purchase your 2nd and 3rd dish.

You can get 5 sachets of Quaker oats for 15 dollars.

Sent from somewhere....

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast