Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By shri
  • 1 Post By shri
  • 3 Post By jaykay

Changing name by deed poll

Changing name by deed poll

Hi,
    I've jut relocated my family to HK and we need to get my kid to register with doctors. However he qualifies for HK ID but unfortunately I don't!! I heard that I need to change by deed poll but unsure what the processes which I need to proceed and how much it will cost? If anyone has had similar experiences and would like to share is really appreciated.

1) If you're ordinarily resident in HK on either an employment visa, dependants visa or any of the long term derivatives like entertainer, education, internship, working holiday, you should qualify for a "HKID". At the end of the day, it is an identification document, not a status.

2) If you just need to register with a doctor, you can do so with a passport. This is used mostly to catalog your records... not to prove that you're here legally. Most doctors will be ok with you going to them and stating that you're visiting. However, if you want free / low cost govt services - then you do need to have a HKID, which implies that immigration has accepted that you have an appropriate visa.

3) If your child qualifies - do you have a spouse who is already a resident? Or was the child born here in HK while your spouse or you were resident here?

4) A deed poll implies that there is a name change involved? Few threads here which might give you some guidance - http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/tags/deed%20poll/

Last edited by shri; 15-04-2014 at 07:59 AM.
    iliketurtles likes this.

You seem to be suggesting that you need to change your name in order to get an hkid card, I've never heard of this before. Can you explain more for the curious?

Quote Originally Posted by usehername
    You seem to be suggesting that you need to change your name in order to get an hkid card, I've never heard of this before. Can you explain more for the curious?
    I think what he / she is suggesting is that they have changed some name somewhere (passport etc) which may not match birth cert or other identification document...

If that is the case, a "deed poll" needs to be submitted.

Q21. What documents should be produced for amendment of name, date of birth or place of birth on my identity card?

If you want to change your name, you should produce documents relating to your change of name such as deed poll, marriage certificate or travel document.
    Guidance notes can be found here: http://www.immd.gov.hk/pdforms/ROP(E)144A.pdf
    usehername likes this.

And to obtain a deed poll, you'd need to contact a lawyer / solicitor and be prepared to fork out about $2-3K.

Hi sorry for not replying sooner.
    Let me elaborate a little more. I'm one dependant visa, wife is local with 3* hk ID card. Baby born in uk and have British passport. I've been told in order for me to register baby at the docs he needs to have ID card too and in order for him to have an ID card then I must register a chinese name!! True or not it is a little extreme and I'm not sure if I needed to go through the hassle as well as the expense if need not be..

I didn't think kids got ID cards until they were 12? My kids just used their passports at the doc. I think someone is feeding you false info.

I agree with hullexile. And in any case it is not necessary to have a Chinese name on a HKID card - very few expats do.

You child does though need a Dependent Visa, unless ImmD has agreed that it has right of abode here.

Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 16-04-2014 at 01:18 AM.

If you are on dependant visa then you are eligible for a HKID card and in fact must get one. Your child will either be on a dependant visa or have Right of Abode through your wife. HKID cards are not issued to kids under the age of 11 unless they have also applied for a HKSAR passport, although there are exceptions. A Chinese name is not required for a HKID card. Someones been spilling you a load of old tripe.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    And to obtain a deed poll, you'd need to contact a lawyer / solicitor and be prepared to fork out about $2-3K.
    $500 fixed fee at Yip Tse _____ Lawyer firm. 2-3K gets you married with their witnesses and whatnot.

They are really run of the mill, in and out, but get the job done.

My relationship to them: saw them advertising on the back of minibuses.