Like Tree4Likes

Tip for cheap optical glasses

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tip for cheap optical glasses

I usually buy my glasses to correct my far sight at the northern part of Temple street in YMT or Aplui Street in SSP for about 80hkd. The quality and style is not too bad. Reading glasses are much cheaper off course.

If your eyes aren't the same strength you can probably buy two pairs and exchange one of the glasses (heat up frame in hot water, push glass out and in).

Sometimes I go to the new wave of cheap optical shops. Prices there start at hkd 160. They measure your eyes, but are very bad at that.

Last edited by ombabman; 25-04-2014 at 03:47 PM.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Why fuck with your eyes by going 'cheap'?

bibbju, huja, kimwy66 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by anothercanuck; 25-04-2014 at 07:41 PM.

They are not bad for eyes. And an extra pair for sports or chores are handy, or for finding your first pair.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Why fuck with your eyes by going 'cheap'?
    +1,000,000

In terms of cost per hour of use, your glasses are about as cheap a thing as you can buy even if you splurge. And that's not even taking into account how important they are.

Quote Originally Posted by ombabman:
    ...They measure your eyes, but are very bad at that.
    Because you're so much better at determining your prescription purely by trying on random pairs of reading glasses?
    I've bought glasses twice from optical shops in HK and never had an issue with them doing a bad job of determining my prescription.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Can the mods move this to Frugal Expats ?

@MCDC: Test results varied a lot from each other. Up to 0,9 points. So I got tested by an ophthalmologist which confirmed their unprofessionalism. But mind you, I'm talking here about the cheap optical shops that advertise on main streets with handing out flyers.
    @huja: Almost all objects cost almost nothing when calculated by the hour. Wearing cheap glasses being bad for eyes is as much a myth as reading in the dark being bad for eyes. My eyes haven't worsened with them the last 4 years. I'm sure they are more transparent than your windows.

I would not go with the new wave of cheap optical shops. My husband wears glasses, and there are better priced optical shops in TST but they still do provide good eye testing before prescribing a pair. Better to spend a little more, and completely in agreement with the comments above - don't mess with your eyes!

The jury is out on the effects of wearing the wrong glasses

http://www.eyecareamerica.org/eyecar...-and-myths.cfm

Having said that, unless I had no choice, I will be getting my next pair of glasses with the help of an optometrist, just to be sure

Optometrists in Myanmar are very cheap.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast