Like Tree17Likes

Anyone living on 15k?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Look at the older building in To Kwa Wan, buildings with no lifts, you can even rent just a room, when you do get to HK, go to these areas and there will be plenty of estate agents, ask them and they will show you around.

Hey mate,
    Not sure if the link will work but I just did a quick search and came up with quite a few in varying locations: Village house to Rent in Hong Kong - Squarefoot
    Check out Buy & Rent Homes - Square Foot - Hong Kong Apartments, Homes, Real Estate for Sale - Good luck with the search.

What are you coming out to do, jobwise? Not sure if 15K salary will get you a work visa. I tried a couple of years ago to bring someone in on 18.5K and failed.

Although this is a few years old you can refer to these thread for more information on living in HK frugally.

http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/61/thread103031.html

http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/26/thread180869.html

Last edited by jmbf; 03-10-2014 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    Not relevant Mat, I already demonstrated the maths: I found flats for $6k and split the rent with a flatmate. If the OP searches around for flats of that price, which do still exist, he can do the same.
    Still kinda relevant since 6k then would have gotten u a better flat than 6k now. For example my first rent in HK was 6.8k...for that i had a 670 sqf flat...4 y old in a full facility complex (pool and all) 45mn from central.....doubt u would get that nowadays.

To OP...in any case 15k is doable.
    Last edited by Mat; 03-10-2014 at 10:36 AM.

Mat has made a good point but it is still possible these days.

Quote Originally Posted by travel7cont:
    @bookblogger

I was hoping you found it online. Thanks for your help!
    Online is generally not the way to find accommodation in Hong Kong. Nor is the @ sign much used on Geoexpat.
    Claire ex-ax and travel7cont like this.

use these websites for reference only to see what the going rates are. most of the apartments shown will not be available when you do ask them
    Hong Kong Property • on line real estate
    Buy Property in Hong Kong | Hong Kong Homes for Sales and Rent | GoHome

travel7cont likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:
    What are you coming out to do, jobwise? Not sure if 15K salary will get you a work visa. I tried a couple of years ago to bring someone in on 18.5K and failed.
    I'm thinking of teaching English. Don't have a particular set of skills I can put to use. I have experience working with kids before, so that's probably my best route but I am looking for other options.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Online is generally not the way to find accommodation in Hong Kong. Nor is the @ sign much used on Geoexpat.
    Okay, thank you for letting me know!