Like Tree21Likes

Free Vegetarian Meals in HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

You can eat there. If you want to take food out, you have to bring your containers, they will fill them.
    It is very common. Many of the visitors take food home.

Quote Originally Posted by jobin:
    I went to the Sikh Temple 2 weeks ago for lunch. Only two requirements: take your shoes off and cover your head. Both needs are provided for, as is a foot bath station. Socks seem OK. Food lovely but simple and NO carry outs.

This free food give away by the Sikhs is a strong part of their traditional mission of providing 'langar', or community meal for anyone who wants. Frankly, i quite liked it all and found the place very spotless and tidy.
    Last edited by shri; 11-05-2015 at 01:57 PM.

Every one has to cover their heads, kids included.. They provide a large scarf for head covering
    There is a donation box at first floor, where the Holy Book, Guru Granth Sahib is kept. You can also give them a cheque and get a tax exempt receipt.

Original Post Deleted
    Last edited by shri; 11-05-2015 at 01:57 PM.

@Deleted - if it really is a problem, I am sure you can use the provided scarves to cover your baseball cap.

I think the key is to be gracious and respectful. It is a relaxed place, but it remains a place of worship.

Does not happen as much now, but the backpackers looking for a "free curry" were seriously cringeworthy and down right disrespectful of the hospitality being provided (and the reasons behind it).

Elegiaque likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    How did it go ?

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

I joined these guys a couple of months back. Thanks to them, I had the opportunity to sample foods in 2 out of the original list. Its a nice relaxed group for those who want to explore the religious bits of Hong Kong.

Hong Kong Sacred Spaces (Hong Kong) - Meetup

shri and bookblogger like this.

If you go in a group with appointment you sometimes get a different treatment than as individual visitor,
    which can be enlightening

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks