Like Tree31Likes

Parking Ticket/Fine Increase

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    I want to see traffic fines like they have in Finland, where they are based on annual earnings.
    I fully support that. My fine would be below $10 then.
    hin23leung likes this.

Great, fines would 10 cents based on the drivers salary.

Don't you think the massive limos, blocking the streets at lunchtime, are corporation owned vehicles? The driver does not own the car, nor does the guy in the back seat. All costs, including petrol and parking, are paid by the corporation, which simply means the shareholders are paying the parking fines.
    No one cares as the cost is shared amongst thousands, millions?, of shareholders.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    I fully support that. My fine would be below $10 then.
    Free parking for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jobin:
    Don't you think the massive limos, blocking the streets at lunchtime, are corporation owned vehicles? The driver does not own the car, nor does the guy in the back seat. All costs, including petrol and parking, are paid by the corporation, which simply means the shareholders are paying the parking fines.
    No one cares as the cost is shared amongst thousands, millions?, of shareholders.
    This is Hong Kong so the driver on minimum wage would pick up the fine.

'This is Hong Kong'. Of course, did you think i was discussing some other place?

And so what that the driver 'would pick up the fine'. My presumption is that the corporation employed limo driver would not personally pay any such fine, as the limo is in service to the corp.

Now possibly the limo driver would get hammered by a moving violation, but not, i think for only parking on some busy street.

And unless you have some inside info which refutes my belief (cite the law plz), i stand firm.

East_coast likes this.

'This is Hong Kong'. Of course, did you think i was discussing some other place?

And so what that the driver 'would pick up the fine'. My presumption is that the corporation employed limo driver would not personally pay any such fine, as the limo is in service to the corp.

Now possibly the limo driver would get hammered by a moving violation, but not, i think for only parking on some busy street.

And unless you have some inside info which refutes my belief (cite the law plz), i stand firm.
    You would hope that the employer would pick-up any parking fines but that almost certainly is not the case. When I looked at this a few years ago one of the reasons parking tickets don't get issued to professional drivers is that they just can't afford it and it is an un-spoken solidarity between the low paid traffic wardens and the low paid drivers that means they get asked to move on.

The hang-em-high brigade always just state tougher fines, tougher enforcement, tougher sentences. Would it really work....

So who pays the parking fine if no driver sits in the car at that moment? From my experience, and never drove in HK, a parking violation ticket is stuck under the windscreen wiper, where it will be seen.
    The wardens never see the driver, and don't care. It's the car that is the violator, not the driver. Unlike a moving violation where certainly the driver is at fault.

Of course, if the car is at the kerb and idling, waiting for the master, that is indeed a different picture.

It's Friday, this thread deserves a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=IvGaSct3cJk

So who pays the parking fine if no driver sits in the car at that moment?
    First, nobody pays the fine right away. There is cash option.

Next, the ticket letter goes to to the registered owner, and the owner only. The owner has to make sure that it gets paid. By whom does not matter.

Example: I borrow your car, jump a red light. The ticket goes to you and you must pay it. Sure you can ask me for the money, but you are legally required to pay.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast