Like Tree17Likes

Why is there no debit card in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

that's too true! in my research, the only debit card available seems to be issued by hang seng but that's only for people aged under 18.

no luck for me..

Citibank's atm card comes with VISA. I think that's pretty much a debit card.

In the website, it says "Payments are debited directly from your bank account, so you do not have to worry about late repayment"

They issued me one of those, I returned it and request for ATM card without VISA. That was.... 5 years ago.

https://www.citibank.com.hk/english/...tmchipcard.htm

Hi, I am still trying to figure out how EPS works, I have cards with all major HK banks which has the EPS logo at the back of them all and when I try to pay using EPS for those dodgy EPS or cash shops, the EPS never works. What do I need to do to get the EPS working on the cards? (All my bk accounts have money)

Quote Originally Posted by Needamaid:
    Hi, I am still trying to figure out how EPS works, I have cards with all major HK banks which has the EPS logo at the back of them all and when I try to pay using EPS for those dodgy EPS or cash shops, the EPS never works. What do I need to do to get the EPS working on the cards? (All my bk accounts have money)
    I'd normally give the merchant my ATM card, they put it into their machine and punch in the amount. They hand me the device and I type in my pin number and hit enter. Then it's put back on its cradle and the transaction goes through. I didn't needed to activate anything as far as I can recall. It just worked out of the box.

https://www.citibank.com.hk/english/...MastercardBABN

You can get a Debit Card from Citibank Hong Kong.

The kid has been using a Tap and Go card for his online purchases. Works well as a stores value card. Instant transfers from his Jr Acct at HSBC using FPS and usable almost anywhere in the world.

Have not micromanaged the costs involved, but they certainly don't seem to be an issue.

Original Post Deleted
    I honestly don't know.. he has a Xiaomi Pocofone thingy.

As far as I know, you don't need NFC to use a tap n go card - its a physical stored value visa or mastercard that you can buy from 7-11. All the kids seem to be using this (he's had it for 2-3 years now).

You also don't need FPS, you can charge up at 7-11 type stores with cash.

I do think it works with insert / swipe card machines too.

I think they're promoting the app version to bypass some payment network charges, but you can buy a physical card from 7-11. Will check when I pass one later today or have a chance to look at the kid's card.

Can anyone advise if this situation has changed?

The Citi Debit card can't be used for online purchases and I am aware of Tap and Go which acts as a prepaid debit card.

Is there a bank in HK that today issues a debit card (Visa or MasterCard), linked to a checking account, that can be used for online purchases?

PayPal can be topped up from your bank account.