Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By kimwy66
  • 1 Post By chuckster007
  • 1 Post By MandM!
  • 2 Post By gab_alexander

Why is there no debit card in Hong Kong?

Why is there no debit card in Hong Kong?

Are there any one trying to apply debit visa/ mastercard in Hong Kong? I have trouble finding one that be used for online purchase.

I tried asking Citibank about their latest VISA ATM but they mentioned the card cant book flight or hotel, no even movie tickts.

As for every other bank i asked, their stuffs seems never heard of the term "debit card" and kept telling me all their cards have "eps" on it....

Why is this place so lag-behind in terms of payment method? Argh...

I just hate owing someone debt where i dont have to be and those hefty service fees.

Last edited by gab_alexander; 19-05-2017 at 07:55 PM.

EPS is a debit card.
    Also Union Pay is a debit.

ATM cards in HK can't be used for online purchases, regardless of brand (EPS, UnionPay, Maestro, Cirrus, Visa or MasterCard). Get yourself a credit card, it's so much easier getting one here with lower salary requirements than many other "developed" countries.

Doh, because the banks can't make loads of money off you with debit cards.

East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gab_alexander
    I just hate owing someone debt where i dont have to be and those hefty service fees.
    What service fees? I autopay my credit card 100% every month. No fees, no interest, and I get perks in return.

Debt is good. It means you're creditworthy. That's something positive. There are people in the world who only pay cash, but if they need a loan they can't easily get one. They have it much harder in life.

just go get a Tap & Go mastercard

https://www.tapngo.com.hk/eng/index.html

pumpkin1 likes this.

EPS is basically a debit card. Why give someone access to your bank accounts. Credit card is much safer.

answerer likes this.

er2

Quote Originally Posted by gab_alexander
    Are there any one trying to apply debit visa/ mastercard in Hong Kong? I have trouble finding one that be used for online purchase.

I tried asking Citibank about their latest VISA ATM but they mentioned the card cant book flight or hotel, no even movie tickts.

As for every other bank i asked, their stuffs seems never heard of the term "debit card" and kept telling me all their cards have "eps" on it....

Why is this place so lag-behind in terms of payment method? Argh...

you can prepay your credit cards without any issue, or fees. Although if you follow @civil_servant's advise and simply set up autopay for the whole balance, then this whole 'owing someone debt' becomes a very imaginary problem.

Thanks for all the replies, I finally own a Enjoy debit card. Can withdraw money and top up when needed, good enough for my current spendings.

OjazosDie and jabalong like this.