Like Tree25Likes

Efficient AC Usage

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Uh, it's not government control of land (and they certainly don't control the labour supply), it's that HK is an oligopoly. Did you see the point about the developer also being the power company? For Cheung Kong, poor building standards = cheaper initial construction costs and higher future revenue from power.
    The government own most of the land and control the supply to developers. They also decide how many of the 1B mainlanders come in each year. I'd say they definitely have a lot of control over both of these knobs in the economy.

I don't understand where the 1 billion entry figure comes from?

Edit: Oh, I guess you mean "potential entry pool of a billion people." I think that's rather exaggerating a point. To take it further we could argue that we could add the billion or so people of India as the government magically decide to open up free movement to other countries too.

Anyway, I think that that looking at land supply and imaginary immigration numbers is really sidestepping the much more immediate issue of oligopoly (which also existed well before 1997).

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    I don't understand where the 1 billion entry figure comes from?

Edit: Oh, I guess you mean "potential entry pool of a billion people." I think that's rather exaggerating a point. To take it further we could argue that we could add the billion or so people of India as the government magically decide to open up free movement to other countries too.

Anyway, I think that that looking at land supply and imaginary immigration numbers is really sidestepping the much more immediate issue of oligopoly (which also existed well before 1997).
    It seems like we are vehemently agreeing. Suffice to say that Hong Kong does not operate under laissez faire capitalism.

Quote Originally Posted by hching:
    So because of this you recommend people to not buy a $500 fan?
    This makes little sense. You suggested letting the market work. I highlighted the market in Hong Kong is far from a free market.

Let's not talk about free market and turn to science. HK temperature ranges from 15-33c, say 95% of the time. People lives comfortably at 25c, So on average say you need to change the temperature by about 8 degrees to be in the comfortable range.
    You have suggested using science but only referenced one of the way heat energy is transferred. You have ignored convection and more importantly radiation. It is possible for the sides of building directly in the sun to reach temperatures of 65 Deg C. Which makes the temperature differential probably comparable to less hot countries.

Insulation does cost money to manufacture and they also have an environmental costs. Just because there is a rule in the more "developed countries" doesn't mean that we need to import them there.
    Yes insulation costs money and as every developed country will testify to get general market adoption of more energy efficient 'things' it needs to be mandated usually in a gradually manner with ever evolving and regulations that drive innovation. Building codes in Hong Kong for energy efficiency of residential buildings do NOT exists. This is terrible governance.

For those who are interested I managed to find some nice looking ceramic tint on AliExpress. $350 for 2 m x 1.5 m with free shipping. It's 80% visual light transmission so hopefully it wont be too dark.

Will let you all know how it works out.

jgl and petpalshk like this.

Quote Originally Posted by cendrillon:
    For those who are interested I managed to find some nice looking ceramic tint on AliExpress. $350 for 2 m x 1.5 m with free shipping. It's 80% visual light transmission so hopefully it wont be too dark.

Will let you all know how it works out.
    try

https://en.yelp.com.hk/biz/k-%E5%92%...A6%99%E6%B8%AF

around HKD170 for 1.2m x 1.5m

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    It is the same question as how do I reduce my heating bill in a western country. The normal approach to reduce your heating bill would be. Windows are probably the biggest energy loss issue follows by draughts.

1) Insulated you glass windows
    - Add reflective film (Can reduce energy by 50%)
    - Install energy heat blocking blinds (Multi-cell are best)
    2) Draughts
    Close doors to un-used rooms
    Fit seals around doors
    3) Wear appropriate cloths
    4) Make sure energy equipment is efficient. Often a fan is enough

Do you have an inexpensive source to buy multi cell blinds here? I tried the Ikea ones, but they were about 10cm too short for my windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Skierx:
    Do you have an inexpensive source to buy multi cell blinds here? I tried the Ikea ones, but they were about 10cm too short for my windows.
    No.

There are plenty of shops selling them. Suggest you head to the upstairs shops in MongKok

https://www.google.com.hk/maps/@22.3...2!8i6656?hl=en

Like W&K curtains

Our electricity bill ended up being only $565 this month with AC running 24/7. This sort of makes sense if the compressor is only running half of the time. That said it still makes sense to replace the AC since it'll drop this to around $390. I'm interested to see how much further this drops with both an efficient AC and blinds.

Quote Originally Posted by cendrillon:
    Our electricity bill ended up being only $565 this month with AC running 24/7. This sort of makes sense if the compressor is only running half of the time. That said it still makes sense to replace the AC since it'll drop this to around $390. I'm interested to see how much further this drops with both an efficient AC and blinds.
    How do you figure it's worth it, financially? That's a $266 per month difference (for summer months only) versus the purchase and installation costs of a new unit?