View Poll Results: What's your total monthly spending in HK?

Voters
184. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than $30k

103 55.98%
  • $30k - $40k

20 10.87%
  • $40k - $50k

15 8.15%
  • $50k - $70k

24 13.04%
  • $70k - $80k

2 1.09%
  • $80k+

20 10.87%
Like Tree167Likes

Post your frugal budget

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cendrillon:
    I'm in the process of fitting film now.
    Don't forget blinds. Double layer cell type reduce heat transmittance by up to 1/2

For AC there's two models I'm looking at. One is from Daikin. It runs on R32 refrigerant and has a DC inverter. Power consumption is 1315 W for a 17100 BTU/hr unit.

The other is from General. It's a bit cheaper and uses 1190 W with 17700 BTU/hr.

These are both big improvements on our current General AC which uses 1890 W.
    Having an inverter should mean better temp control, longer life and quiter.

I would also suggest getting a reverse cycle type so you can keep warm in the winter for lower cost

I'm in the process of fitting film now.

For AC there's two models I'm looking at. One is from Daikin. It runs on R32 refrigerant and has a DC inverter. Power consumption is 1315 W for a 17100 BTU/hr unit.

The other is from General. It's a bit cheaper and uses 1190 W with 17700 BTU/hr.

These are both big improvements on our current General AC which uses 1890 W.
    Did you look at other brands like Carrier? Inverter, Grade 1. Price seems very economical.

@cendrillon

Have you tested this window film stuff and determined that you're willing to trade off against having windows that are darker 100% of the time? I considered this several months ago, tested various films, and decided that a gloomier flat was not worth it.

I also suspect most of the electrical use is caused by shitty single paned glass providing no insulation, rather than sun coming through a window. Unless your place has amazing sunlight.

East_coast, TheBrit and imparanoic like this.

Original Post Deleted
    Books are around $1000 per year. There are additional fees of $350 per year as well. So around $112 per month per student. Extracurricular activities and local excursions are free.
    jgl and Skyhook like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    @cendrillon

Have you tested this window film stuff and determined that you're willing to trade off against having windows that are darker 100% of the time? I considered this several months ago, tested various films, and decided that a gloomier flat was not worth it.

I also suspect most of the electrical use is caused by shitty single paned glass providing no insulation, rather than sun coming through a window. Unless your place has amazing sunlight.
    I'm not a fan of the gloom either. I'm looking for the fairly transparent film that blocks heat but minimal light. This is commonly available for car tints so I think I may be able to find it for home windows as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    @cendrillon

Agree it depends what you are looking at. but some have a minimal tint.

good blinds are just as important - day / night double cell types are best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l7huOVNNII

Original Post Deleted
    Uniforms are around $3000 per year. This sits in my clothing budget.

Looking at this - no way this level of frugality would work for me. Could possibly do it, but that would involve cutting down on a number of things me / mrs / jr enjoy and appreciate.

Sorry... just saying.

Vix85 and jmbf like this.

I'm not a fan of the gloom either. I'm looking for the fairly transparent film that blocks heat but minimal light. This is commonly available for car tints so I think I may be able to find it for home windows as well.
    I tried several stores along Lockhart Road, even the most transparent was too dark. This was the reflective stuff, not the purely dark stuff. Anyway, again, I don't think there's much efficiency to be gained here when you could simply close some blinds over the window during the brightest part of the day. The film itself also isn't trivially cheap.

Most HK flats have such poor light to start with because of all the tall buildings. Then add, say, cloudy or rainy weather, and you've just got a dim interior.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Looking at this - no way this level of frugality would work for me. Could possibly do it, but that would involve cutting down on a number of things me / mrs / jr enjoy and appreciate.

Sorry... just saying.
    Frugality is not for everyone. That said I don't think there's a single thing I want that I don't have. I go sailing often, several trips to Australia and Thailand per year, eating out as much as we would want to taking into account the health impact of too much restaurant food, a pool and gym in our building, hiking, camping, beach, unlimited leasure time.

I have room in my budget to spend more but honestly can't think of what else I would want to spend on. For reference I was spending around $70k per month on non-housing expenses in the US a year ago. I don't miss anything that we cut out.

There's some things we may add over time like art classes or sports activities for the kids.

How about you? What are those critical things you'd miss on a frugal budget (excluding private schools since that's a whole other conversation)? Western restaurants? A car? Trips to the Maldives?
    Last edited by cendrillon; 25-09-2017 at 12:55 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast