Like Tree63Likes

How to save money in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How to save money in HK?

I thought, we can have some guide/methods on ways to save money here. It can be apps, schemes, rewards programme, credit card or any other current promotions.

I can think of Public Transport Subsidy, a scheme designed to subside your transportation. Then, there are online apps like Klook ( place for various discounts eg. airport express tickets), Eatigo ( food discounts). Any others in mind?

Maybe there should be a Personal Finance subforum under the Business & Finance section (I note most similar topics are under the Everything Else subforum).

Anyway, my contribution to start off. Not the best, but the simplest credit card cashback - Stanchart Simply Cash.
    1.5% cashback on your purchases.
    https://www.sc.com/hk/credit-cards/simplycash/

The largest (but most challenging) way to save would be compromising on your living standards/housing space, because this is Hong Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by AsianXpat0:

The largest (but most challenging) way to save would be compromising on your living standards/housing space, because this is Hong Kong.
    This. Hence living on an outlying island. Also good quality of life and commute and awesome views. But, yes, the cheaper rent leaves plenty left over for extras.

And with the transport subsidy (I currently get between 230 and 260 back each month, will now go up to over 300), it offsets the extra I spend on commuting.

Other cost-saving measures- buy your drugstore-type items (shampoo, soap, toothpaste etc.) in those local pharmacies (the ones that carry these items as well). About 2/3 the price of the supermarket or Watson's/Mannings.

Original Post Deleted
    My coworker practically needs a second wallet for his club/points/member/discount cards, I don't believe he has ever paid full price for anything other than tuition for his daughter...
    z754103 and irisboards like this.

If you're not planning on staying in Hong Kong forever, dump the full 60k into your MPF TVC account and put it in one of the low cost funds. Even though the funds have higher management fees ETFs, the tax savings more than offset it in the medium term.

If renting, renegotiate soon. The rental markets are in a depressed state at the moment and there are some bargains to be had out there.

Some people: "You have to buy property to save money" - https://geoexpat.com/forum/newpostinthread355321.html

The DBS Compass VISA gives 8% off when shopping at Park'n'Shop branded supermarkets on any day of month ending with 2 (i.e. 2, 12, and 24).

Similarly the Hang Seng Enjoy card gives the same discount at Wellcome on days ending 3. Slight discounts are offered at other merchants too (including 7-11 or various Maxims branded outlets): https://www.hangseng.com/cms/emkt/pm...ar_round_e.pdf

Sometimes when you see an Alipay QR code at checkout, you'll find that scanning it gets you a few $$ off (not always - sometimes they are specifically for Mainland wallets only). Or at the very least, every Alipay transaction > $10 gets you one stamp (one per day only), after which three stamps gets you a $3 discount.

Question is how much you're actually saving vs. your hourly rate & brain cells used to keep track of all this. But if one has nothing better to do... then why not!

Original Post Deleted
    They're using base 11, but 12 was substituted for 13 because it's unlucky lah ~.

All this time in HK and you're not reading the small print?
    tparker likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Oops...!

Penny pinching only gets you so far. The best way to save money in HK is to get (at least 2) roommates and split rent. Other than rent my monthly spend can hardly go over HKD10k.

shri and Sage like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast