Like Tree57Likes

Is it possible to not cook / just live on takeouts? (on a budget)

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Glad I’m not the only one to spot this

Subdivided flats are what? $6k a month or so?
    If he can’t afford that then he’s pretty much screwed.
    The cheapest quarantine hotel is $480 a night (~$11k) for 3 weeks with questionable pre-paid "food". If you don't like what you are given, you will need to foodpanda/deliveroo at extra daily expense. These rooms are generally booked solid (as helpers, etc are booked into these).

Most mid-range QT hotels are about $18-$20k for 3 weeks are available (about $800-$1000 per night including food). LMO is like $3k+ per night -> perfect if your employer is paying the bill.

If the OP can't swing $500 per night, they aren't getting in, unless they are from mainland china / Macau / Taiwan. Even getting a hotel to take you in will be challenge if you don't need to quarantine in the designated hotel.

I've sort of assumed $20k minimum salary for GEP, so $15k all up including meals is okay (Marriot in Shatin). You will probably eat pretty well. Leaves you 25% of your income, post food and accommodation. Not a great lifestyle, but doable. Savings become better if you have a partner/family. Partner eats for free. Kid(s) eat for free... Though kids in something << suite is not much fun long term. Pool + Gym, Internet, electricity, food -> all paid for.

"Healthy" pre-packaged food options, like Nosh or more exotic nutritionally balanced stuff, etc are like $250-$300 per day, $7k-9k pcm. A bunch of people get these delivered M-F.

Local cooked meals, $40-$50 per meal, $3.5k-$4.5k pcm.

If you want a low carb diet, have egg + smoked salmon for breakfast, take a piece of fruit and yogurt for lunch, come back for dinner and eat cheese + salmon sashimi + fresh vegetables/salad. Drink some wine/ champagne/beer every night.

Cheaper hotels on a monthly basis are $10k pcm (free breakfast?).
    Super cheap beds in dorms are like $2k pcm, but OP said he didn't want to share.
    Colleague at work was in $9k subdivided flat island side. (maybe it's cheaper in SSP).

A lot of hotels won't allow you to plug appliances in (Four points said no to microwaves, cookers, etc) and won't allow cooking in the rooms.

Some colleagues bring the frozen dumplings from the supermarket and heat it up in the work microwave and store food in the work freezer. Tea lady washes the dishes... The frozen dumplings are like $10-$15 a pack on sale, maybe 2 packs for a $20-$30 meal.

Options =>

cheap hotel + food $10K + food (3.5k-9k)?
    mid-range hotel (food included ) $15-$18k pcm all in - skip lunch? (live pretty well - pool, gym, all you can eat breakfast/dinner)
    studio $12k + food (3.5k-9k) + utilities (1-2k) + bond(s) (24K + 6k agent fee), etc
    serviced apartment $12k + food (3.5k-9k) + small bond (???)

ymmv.
    Last edited by jimbo_jones; 18-02-2021 at 04:03 PM.
    z754103 likes this.

This will get expensive and the time it takes for takeout to arrive especially during times of peak travel would make cooking from scratch a lot faster.

Skyhook likes this.

Yes, it's possible. I've been doing that for over a year. BTW, even if you don't have a kitchen, you can still cook basic things like a vegetable salad. You can buy cooked chicken, fish and shrimps at M&S Food. Do get an induction cooker, then you'll be able to make pasta, boiled eggs, etc.

If you will consider a take out habits just make sure that all the food you're buying is clean. Sorry for the other resto that are not hygienic. Because In a long run ur health will suffer .. just remember that health is wealth. Being sick in hk is difficult. If I were u, Why not get a small apartment with a kitchen that cost like 7,500-8,500 and hire a part-time helper who can cook and clean ,wash your clothes They are not expensive.
    #advice101

+1 for nutrition kitchen. They have discounts for longer term commitments, bringing it down to about 50 a meal for decent, healthy food.

I would get a microwave though. I used to keep a microwave in the hotel in perth I practically lived in for a year. Made a huge difference.

rkenia852 likes this.

Alternatively do a live out boarding house or better a village house share with domestic helpers at 2-2500 per month. Sharing obviously but think of the money you’d save and you could probably pay them for decent daily food too

@ fwrento I want to mention another point that I don't think anyone has brought up... that's the amount of rubbish you're likely to create relying so much on take-out.

Our landfills are almost full, and we don't really have any space (duh), and our rubbish doesn't go to China, and our recycling system is lacking (and even if it weren't there's a lot of other issues with plastic no one wants, often devastating other poor areas). Take a look at any (non-gazetted) beach in Hong Kong, and it's pretty shocking how much rubbish you see, a lot of which is take-away food packaging. I don't think there's any pure sand anywhere in Hong Kong (or even around the world), because if you look carefully you'll inevitably find small bits of plastic.

Thankfully, because we don't have very strict hygiene standards here, I find most places are willing to let you bring your own container (but not now during the pandemic ). And if you're able to sit down, most restaurants do serve up very quickly, so it's not very inconvenient to just take a few minutes and eat with real dishes that someone else cleans. I think the government is slowly ramping up their recycling schemes, but once plastic exists it's basically there forever...

Anyway, I just want to put that point out there for consideration. Obviously, I hope more people are mindful and start to notice just how devastating all our plastic waste has been, everywhere around the earth, and particularly in HK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAko1pWH3pU

I have a kitchen, but still lived somewhat like this for a bit.
    Something like

Meal 1: bran cereal ($5 a day)
    Meal 2: Protein powder ($10 a day)
    Plus like $15 a day 1l unsweetened soy milk, maybe $10 fruit, then whatever for the last meal. Often dinner, but if you want the best deals, lunch and tea sets tend to be much cheaper than dinner sets. Say up to $70 for the third meal gives you a lot of options.

Total $110/day or less. Not super cheap, but significantly cheaper than all the monthly meal delivery options.

Only need a little blender and fridge (and sink). Gets very boring though, wouldn't really recommend it long-term.

If you want to eat healthy then you need at least a mini chopping board and suitable knife and buy veg and fruit at the closest wet food market. Buy discounted cooked meat in the evening from a supermarket if there is one nearby.