Like Tree49Likes

Remote/Rural Living in Hong Kong

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

as previously advised, make sure you check the internet / cellular connection inside and outside the property especially you will rely a lot for WFH. some village has poor or no connection at all. when we first moved in to lam tsuen, tai po, the only internet option was 8mbps PCCW which was not reliable especially during rainy days. now we have hkbn with faster and more reliable service.
    best of luck

Two words to keep in mind:

Village dogs

Elegiaque and BCD like this.

If you just want the quietness, but a little better comfort and infrastructure, you could try some of the estates out in the wild. Mount Pavilia in clear water bay for example. Park Mediterranean in Sai Kung. A few along castle peak road on the stretch between Tsuen wan and tuen Mun. In the outskirts of Tai Po or up the hill between Sha tin and Tai Po.

fullmetaljacket likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    Two words to keep in mind:

Village dogs
    Thanks. Yes, very much aware of them. Have a few friends living long term in Sai Kung, Ma On Shan, Tai Po etc., and have come across village dogs everytime I've visited. I am OK with dogs, although I've seen people freaking out at the sight of a village (or beach) dog, which made things worse.

Quote Originally Posted by fullmetaljacket:
    Thanks. Yes, very much aware of them. Have a few friends living long term in Sai Kung, Ma On Shan, Tai Po etc., and have come across village dogs everytime I've visited. I am OK with dogs, although I've seen people freaking out at the sight of a village (or beach) dog, which made things worse.
    The village house next to ours has 10 dogs, so you can image the noise!

It is a gamble with village dogs, you maybe very lucky and not have any issues, or be surrounded by them.
    JAherbert and hullexile like this.

@emx - 10 dogs in one house!! Yikes

lived in different Sai Kung villages over the years:

Hiram highway - the Hiram highway route towards Sai Kung is now undergoing long term "improvement" works, which may or may not be an issue for you. Worth checking weekend traffic can be a nightmare;

Public transport - if you live between Sai kung and the city, picking up public transport mid way can be frustrating buses/mini buses at peak times will be full, may not be an issue if you WFH;

Parking - if you have a car, lots of disputes about parking, villagers think they own "public parking" spaces, park in the wrong place and they might vandalise your car;

Each village has a village leader (village king) get along with him and village life will be easier;

I moved to Clearwater bay in mid 2020 because of the very same reasons. WFH more often and wanting more space/nature. It takes me around 40 minutes to drive to work during traffic. Its not ideal, but it is tolerable. Make sure you study the commute even if you do WFH most of the time.

I love my place. Just gotta get used to the additional insects and mosquitos.

Also important not: Make sure you rent a place WITH a dedicated parking spot. Because "waitlist" is meaningless lol.

Jillypots and fullmetaljacket like this.

@JAherbert - This is good advice. I read - on Geoexpat - that village life is much easier when you get on with the village head. When we arrived we took him a plant as a gift, and have always treated him and his wife with respect. In turn, they have been lovely - the first people I turn to if I need help - and we have been extremely happy here. I can see that it would be hell if the village head didn’t like us though.

Peng Chau- village life without the "real" village. There is a public housing estate (largest complex on the island) so a community center, facilities, supermarket.
    I think that is why people choose islands, they are nervous about the whole village dynamic.

hike, JAherbert, emx and 1 others like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast