Like Tree49Likes

Remote/Rural Living in Hong Kong

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I think we’ve been extraordinarily lucky in our village. But each country we’ve lived in, we’ve tried to live “locally”. Nothing against expats, of course - it’s lovely to talk to like minded people and not have a language difference - but, having the chance to experience and gain a little understanding of local culture is a wonderful opportunity.

(Yes, I completely see that this makes me sound very woke, which I am not at all in real life!)

hullexile, Andy SNK and AsianXpat0 like this.

Quite like it out in Tai Mei Tuk area, bunch of restos, people are by and large friendly, there are some expats scattered throughout the villages but I don't know most of them. New beach may or may not be a good thing on weekends but already gone for a swim and it's quite nice. Lots of good hiking and swimming the surrounding mtns as well.

Rent is reasonable 11~17K depending on view and age/design. Serviced by 2 mini busses and 1 KMB as well as an additional bus into the county park on Sundays/PH, about 30mins by bus to MTR (unless you catch the elusive express run), from MTR can be quicker as little as 20mins as it fills up and skips Taipo.

Unfortunately no groceries, there is a farm you can get a few produce items at, but otherwise just drinks and dry goods/ snacks at Q-club, a new "shop" opened by the beach but even less there. Pity no one has the forethought to open a little grocery store. Did spot a "vegetarian" shop near the Budda but haven't been in.

But if you want real rural, go live on Kat O or Ap Chau!

fullmetaljacket likes this.

you might want to check out Stanley Village. I lived there for a little over a year and loved everyday of it. Wish I didn't have to leave (family reasons).

Quote Originally Posted by blinkedwon:
    you might want to check out Stanley Village. I lived there for a little over a year and loved everyday of it. Wish I didn't have to leave (family reasons).
    I wouldn't call Stanley village remote or rural
    alexdown likes this.

take a stroll between Tung Chung and Tai O. Some lovely places on the way

Quote Originally Posted by blandy62:
    take a stroll between Tung Chung and Tai O. Some lovely places on the way
    ... not really for living though?

Technically Sha Lo Wan has public transportation, if you consider the infrequent ferry that stops en-route between Tai O and Tung Chung. Mind you that's another local village run by a crackpot dictator (sorry, village chief) at the moment so if you move there you might find yourself locked in.

What fun places the Hong Kong villages can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    After a typhoon internet might be down for a day or two , then only option is cellular Network
    I've lived in a village house with limited and expensive options, and turned to cellular network.
    more info here: https://geoexpat.com/forum/121/thread360405.html

I don't live in Hong Kong anymore but our outdoor space was almost unusable due to mosquitos and sandflies.

emx and rainylin like this.

Definitely recommend Park Yoho - massive gardens around the blocks, which is a gated community, I'm on the 1st floor with a 200+ sq ft balcony which I've got a swing chair overlooking one of the designated green areas/park. We've got our own bus terminal with buses to all parts, some need to go to Tai Lam interchange to anywhere in HK. A big Fusion and some other shops/restaurants

V good service from the Property Management - tbh I wouldnt fancy living in a village what with the politics & if something you'd need to dispute with one of original village inhabitants

Quote Originally Posted by WMDS:
    I don't live in Hong Kong anymore but our outdoor space was almost unusable due to mosquitos and sandflies.
    Argghhh that's what I hate. Love living at village house, but hate those. I moved out from apartment less than a year ago. This year my legs are full with scar That's what I love from living in an apartment, hardly see those bugs.
    shri likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast