Like Tree18Likes

Foot massage tipping

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Masseuse generally are highly commissioned workers and they take a share of, i guess, 30~50% of the intake, depending on whether they are good/popular/or not. So from numbers, say you did a 200$ and the masseuse gets 40%, that's 80$. Then a tip of another 10-20% will bump up his/her hour pay by 25~50%..

I think really depends on whether its a regular one or you just walk in.. for regular masseuse i guess regular tipping will help you in getting some preference considerations in scheduling during the busier weekends.. But its not a must in HK.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    If they are really horrible, you should just cut it short and walk out (only had to do this once). Continuing to sit through an hour or so of irritating pain, and then paying for it, just speaks to too much social conditioning.
    I dig your style. I am too Canadian to do this.

Many moons ago, I recall having to sit thru a horrendous tinder date because I felt socially responsible to carry thru with it...
    calmathetic9 likes this.

I always tip 10%-30% for massages.
    If the massage is awful then sorry no tips!!

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    I think really depends on whether its a regular one or you just walk in.. for regular masseuse i guess regular tipping will help you in getting some preference considerations in scheduling during the busier weekends.. But its not a must in HK.
    I don't think that the people who take bookings track how much and who you tip- you're just an anonymous voice on the phone as they look up their paper book of appointments.

Depends what services you get on top of that!

Cheeky Kiwi and calmathetic9 like this.

I always look at how hard they're working and what a tough job it is -- physically exhausting, putting up with probably some gross people, and likely they don't really earn heaps. What is the $50 to you and what could it be to them?

Actually, I just give whatever small bills I have. It's not like I'm so organized I'd have a $50 ready... so if I have just a couple of $20s... too embarrassed to ask to break larger bills.

VillanElle likes this.

I don't think that the people who take bookings track how much and who you tip- you're just an anonymous voice on the phone as they look up their paper book of appointments.
    under this scenario you are just being treated like a walk in.. don't bother to tip then..

but the good shops will know who you are and reserve slots for you

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    under this scenario you are just being treated like a walk in.. don't bother to tip then..

but the good shops will know who you are and reserve slots for you
    Can you share which places these are? Because unless you are going there literally multiple times a week (and probably speak fluent Cantonese) I find this hard to reconcile with the usual cheap neighbourhood massage operation.

For what it's worth, my wife usually bypasses the booking system by communicating directly with the masseuse, but they don't go around bumping clients or blocking out time on the off chance that someone regular will want a last minute slot. They simply don't have the financial buffer to worry about this sort of thing.
    Kowloon72 likes this.

Can you share which places these are? Because unless you are going there literally multiple times a week (and probably speak fluent Cantonese) I find this hard to reconcile with the usual cheap neighbourhood massage operation.

For what it's worth, my wife usually bypasses the booking system by communicating directly with the masseuse, but they don't go around bumping clients or blocking out time on the off chance that someone regular will want a last minute slot. They simply don't have the financial buffer to worry about this sort of thing.
    I go to one in wan chai that is quite popular with expats and they speak decent english..

Definitely they won't bump off clients for last minute demand, but they do kind of maintain a slot here or there for me if they know good chance I would go (usually on a Sunday, but i seldom book till Saturday). Likely they will also try to shift sessions slightly earlier/later.. that sorts of adjustments that are within their contemplation. Other clients likely not as specific as me in masseuse requirement so shop has that flexibility to adjust.
    jgl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    Depends what services you get on top of that!
    If they made you happy you should tip.