Like Tree36Likes

Public housing for rent

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

That's actually the whole problem of too much subsidy into a government scheme.. that people will do all kinds of things to abuse it.. In sgp, the housing is subsidized but by alot lessor than in hk... its affordable but we are still talking about ordinary couples needing to stretch their loans 30 years to make a comfortable living. Still, we have heard of people trying to 'separate' legally so they can acquire a second house unit.. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    For those with in public housing with a Ferrari in the car park I guess they were eligible when the applied or even moved in but financial circumstances have improved?

However, if you had the money would you not prefer to live in a private house/estate rather than a government one. Is there not a stigma to living in a government flat like there would be living in a 'council house' in the UK.?
    U
    I ask because I really have no idea what living in government flats in Hong Kong is like.
    You are looking at it upside down, its a free parking for Ferrari, does not imply the owner is living there.. May be grandmother moved there as a caretaker of property or better opportunity for hangout with gang, property is empty but someone keep occasional presence, given it to distant poor relative, smartly sublet it to someone and so on...

If anyone is interested in knowing how much salary you can offically have to be able to qualify for Public Housing. have a look at the official document.

https://www.housingauthority.gov.hk/...ion/HD273A.pdf

jgl likes this.

So you mean you earn so much that you are not eligible for public housing in Hong Kong, but you would like to know how to cheat and lie in order to get one of these low-rent units for yourself? And if you succeed, that means one eligible family in the queue has to wait even longer for the unit they are entitled to. Have you no shame?

Quote Originally Posted by LetsDiscuss:
    Hi,

We all are paying very high rents in HK except the lucky guys who are eligibility to apply and get public housing for rent.

I have heard some people (businessman/shops) earning more than government defined limit but still got the public housing because all business they are doing in CASH.

Is there any way for SALARIED people to get public housing even earning more than government defined limit ?

Any trick or any chance we can get these cheap houses for rent ? like apply in wife name or father name or anything else?

No.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellenna:
    So you mean you earn so much that you are not eligible for public housing in Hong Kong, but you would like to know how to cheat and lie in order to get one of these low-rent units for yourself? And if you succeed, that means one eligible family in the queue has to wait even longer for the unit they are entitled to. Have you no shame?
    Last edited by LetsDiscuss; 17-11-2021 at 04:43 PM. Reason: adding smile

Have you no shame?
    The guy feels left out when fella countrymen are benefiting from the system already and saving loads of $$$ while he is shelling out loads of $$$ on private housing rent and saving less

Isnt it racist if locals can abuse and fleece the system but foreigners of Brown colour cant

OMG I have too much time on my hand. time to check out and go home LOL

LetsDiscuss, shri and qhank like this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    Isnt it racist if locals can abuse and fleece the system but foreigners of Brown colour cant
    Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Yep, the other $14k/month (principal portion of mortgage repayment) is something you are paying to yourself, growing your net worth, something you will get back in your pocket the day you leave Hong Kong and sell your property, assuming that your $6m property remains valued at $6m over time. Rent on the other hand goes to landlord and is lost forever, same as the bank interest portion mortgage repayments. This is why I always compare rent to interest expense portion of mortgage, not the full mortgage repayment amount.
    Yeah, that goes with an assumption the borrower can afford the additional $14,000k a month for a roof over their head!

So you mean you earn so much that you are not eligible for public housing in Hong Kong....
    Earning more than the threshold for public housing is not earning "so much".

Quote Originally Posted by ndt:
    You are looking at it upside down, its a free parking for Ferrari, does not imply the owner is living there.. May be grandmother moved there as a caretaker of property or better opportunity for hangout with gang, property is empty but someone keep occasional presence, given it to distant poor relative, smartly sublet it to someone and so on...
    Well, in relation to my other point. I wouldn't leave a Ferrari parked in a council estate in the UK. It wouldn't last long!!!
    hullexile and qhank like this.

Just saw a case on LINE last night where an ex police was caught renting out an apartment that he declared as self residence. Went all the way to court and he is losing his pension etc.etc...

So OP can take the risk but the repercussion might not be that trivia.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast