Like Tree10Likes

Cost to paint 1000 sq ft flat?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thanks a lot for all your feedback! I quite didn't expect that.

It's only a rented apartment (2 year lease) so I am going to trust the landlord with the paint, definitely not going to spend 20k (or half of that, as I wanted to get him to do it and maybe pay 50%) for a new paint. Except the one place under the sleeping room window, there is no plastering work needed as far as I can tell.

Once I know how much it really cost do do the job (paint over old layer) I'll give some feedback here. Theoretically, there can be only 1 or 2 layers of paint on the walls: one when the building was finished (2001), and maybe a second one when one of the two tenants moved in.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramdom:
    20K to paint! Who pays someone that kind of money? definitely in wrong profession.

btw, after (or before?) gweilos, tradesmen like to scam women.

A friend's (girl) bathroom sink had a leak coming from the pipe connecting to the wall. To repair, the hack aka plumber replaced the faucet handle with a used, crappier one which did nothing to help the leak in the pipe. On second visit he ripped out the pipe and made a huge mess of the tiled wall. Not a plumber by profession, but I suspect a new 10 cent washer would of done the trick.
    As far as I know, you do not know my wife....so you SHUT UP

PS: for your information she has painted part of the house we live in and fixed one of the toilets....but I am sure guys like you know better of course.

OP you got your answer:

- Bryant: 2K all-in: top job I am sure, he might even give you an extra if you tip him...
    - cheap paint (ie not odorless...), one/2 layers without removing anything, average job - iI'd say about 4/5 K
    - Good quality paint, 2/3 layers and maybe different colors 7/10K
    - Top paint, removal of previous layers, paint 2/3 layers - +10K up to ~20K

I would personally not consider a cheap paint (harmful) but it's up to you.
    Last edited by Mat; 18-10-2011 at 07:17 PM.

@mat: ah, it wasn't meant to be a knock on your partner's handy-work abilities, my point is tradesmen (here and other places as well) can be particularly crooked when quoting prices to non-males.

Original Post Deleted
    As always your contribution is outstanding!

@mat: ah, it wasn't meant to be a knock on your partner's handy-work abilities, my point is tradesmen (here and other places as well) can be particularly crooked when quoting prices to non-males.

Then did not need to quote me and the specific point related to my wife....

Anyway, I think the OP got a few answers on here and that is what he was after....

The cheap shots from DeletedUser he probably wasn't looking after but...they come for free so..

Your wife is female isn't she?

I believe your earlier point is because she can speak cantonese therefore the quotes she got are not inflated. I'm saying she could easily have been quoted as high as price as any non-cantonese speaker because she is female.

bryant.english likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Funny to see that everyone is quoting around 8K ..... but Bryant jumped when i provided a range from 8 to 22 (the upper bracket being for a full job: old layers removal, top paint)
    Mat, why are you getting so worked up about this. I lived in a small village and made a lot of contacts in the local community. When you do that, the prices come down.

I'll give you an example, last week I went to look at a house in Kam Tin that is 6000p/m. It is an older style village house, 3 floors, four bedrooms and a roof terrace, btw, it is a whole house, not 3 flats, it's purpose built, a semi-detached. The owner said she'd get the whole thing repainted for 2000HKD extra. Must be 2000sqf. btw, it's probably still for rent and it's a 10 minute drive/mini-bus from Kam Tin...no need to get excited and PM me for the details though, I know a cousin of the village chief, that's how it works! If I'd wanted it I would have been one of two Gweilos in the village! There are many of these houses and they often sit empty for many months and won't be advertised through agencies.

I'm very sorry but those of us who have made our homes in the further reaches of the NTs really shake our heads in disbelief at some of the figures that get thrown around on this site.

Not sure why you're so upset, why you've taken it so personally Mat...it wasn't meant that way and there's nothing in it for me to exaggerate how cheap I can get it, to be honest I think I could get it done for even less than 6000HKD.

Your wife is female isn't she?

I believe your earlier point is because she can speak cantonese therefore the quotes she got are not inflated. I'm saying she could easily have been quoted as high as price as any non-cantonese speaker because she is female.
    Not only because she can speak canto but because she also has contact (thru her family) with the local community.....

But whatever as I have said, I think the OP got sufficient quotes here to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    Mat, why are you getting so worked up about this. I lived in a small village and made a lot of contacts in the local community. When you do that, the prices come down.

I'll give you an example, last week I went to look at a house in Kam Tin that is 6000p/m. It is an older style village house, 3 floors, four bedrooms and a roof terrace, btw, it is a whole house, not 3 flats, it's purpose built, a semi-detached. The owner said she'd get the whole thing repainted for 2000HKD extra. Must be 2000sqf. btw, it's probably still for rent and it's a 10 minute drive/mini-bus from Kam Tin...no need to get excited and PM me for the details though, I know a cousin of the village chief, that's how it works! If I'd wanted it I would have been one of two Gweilos in the village! There are many of these houses and they often sit empty for many months and won't be advertised through agencies.

I'm very sorry but those of us who have made our homes in the further reaches of the NTs really shake our heads in disbelief at some of the figures that get thrown around on this site.

Not sure why you're so upset, why you've taken it so personally Mat...it wasn't meant that way and there's nothing in it for me to exaggerate how cheap I can get it, to be honest I think I could get it done for even less than 6000HKD.
    And you will tell me she repainted the 2000sqf with:
    - removing old layers
    - putting 2/3 layers
    - used good quality paint

my take is the paint was the cheapest of the cheapest and she cut it with so much water that at the end it was more water that paint.

....I wish I'd live in dreamland....

PS: for the record I got mine repainted with top quality paint and by a friend of my wife (HK local working has handyman in a school here) for about 6K but that requires knowing someone....but there is no way you will have top paint for 2K for a 2000sqf .....it's cheap nasty stuff...and do you want cheap nasty stuff where you live?

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    And you will tell me she repainted the 2000sqf with:
    - removing old layers
    - putting 2/3 layers
    - used good quality paint
    Why would I do that? I don't know anything about it or what you're talking about!

I'm quite sure if I paid enough money I could have a naked 21 year old Egyptian model hand paint my apartment with an ostrich feather...

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4