Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Torynn

Window restrictors

Closed Thread

Window restrictors

I need to have my windows child proofed and my landlord has agreed to 'window restrictors' rather than grilles. I have attached a copy of ones used at school but have no idea where to find them or who can fit them. Has anyone had similar fitted to their windows? Need to find a supplier and a handyman to fit them?

Thanks.

Hi lilie,

I recently had the same problem with my landlord. He was happy for me the spend thousands of dollars on window locks and even helped me (him) choose the expensive brand. However after looking at the window itself I noticed I could restrict the amount of movement by placing a piece of metal along the runner without any extra holes being made to the frame. The total cost for all windows being modified is about $200hk. Will be happy show you photo of the work. Pm me

dear giant likes this.

there don't look very childproof, surely, a child easily overcome these latches as well as there is no failsafe, do you really put your child at risk?

Thanks Torynn will pm you.

Imparanoic, actually they are pretty safe for under 5, the gaps where the latch opens is very small and tricky to manoeuvre for little fingers. Older children would work it out though. Plus my windows are pretty high so not reachable for a few years, by which time I'll have moved on!

Quote Originally Posted by lilie:
    [...]

Plus my windows are pretty high so not reachable for a few years, by which time I'll have moved on!
    So why do you need to child-proof the windows then? Just wondering ...

Children under 5 (well mine at least) are experts at undoing things especially if it causes irreparable damage.

Raccon - to satisfy the social worker, I am applying to adopt!

Hullexile I work with 3-4 year olds and know how clever they are, but the restrictors will be fitted at the top of the windows out of their reach! My landlord has found a supplier in Wan Chai, though much pricier than Torynn's suggestion, funnily enough!

I am also interested in this solution as we will be moving to a high-rise with windows that open way too wide from a safety perspective.

Noticed that our windows have runners and that placing a metal slat there would help. Appreciate if Torynn or anyone could share work done.

Window restrictor

Hi, Would appreciate if you could share the address of the shop/contact of handyman who could install these window restrictor for my windows as well
    Thx

If you know how to taobao. This is what I got. Tailored to the size of your window.

https://m.tb.cn/h.Ud9vchJ