Like Tree21Likes

I kicked my door open

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I kicked my door open

Got locked out earlier today, I had the key to the gate but the main door was locked so I kicked it open. The slider part of the lock was unlocked so I just had to deal with the locked doorknob which was still harder than I expected. I ended up breaking part of the door and part of the frame.

I need to know how much it costs to get a new one or if the damage I did is repairable from anyone who has had a similar repair made.

ummm...why didn't you just call a locksmith? My ex girlfriend once showed up at my house and called a locksmith and told him she was locked out of her house. He promptly let her in without any questions.......

Football16 and dear giant like this.

Did you roundhouse kick it, Chuck Norris style?

Quote Originally Posted by packy_crusher:
    ummm...why didn't you just call a locksmith? My ex girlfriend once showed up at my house and called a locksmith and told him she was locked out of her house. He promptly let her in without any questions.......
    I've always wondered about that, having never had to use one. How does a locksmith actually know that he's letting the actual owner back in their house, and not an ex/thief/psyco etc?
    dear giant likes this.

In our case the guys on the gate called the locksmith. We had the keys but my helper had mucked around with the locks while we were away - we got home on a Sunday and our keys wouldn't the door

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    In our case the guys on the gate called the locksmith. We had the keys but my helper had mucked around with the locks while we were away - we got home on a Sunday and our keys wouldn't the door
    There's more to the story and I'm nosy . . . do tell.
    dear giant and Football16 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    There's more to the story and I'm nosy . . . do tell.
    LOL, Luckily it was just down to sheer stupidity. She'd double locked the gate "because I was alone and someone might break in and attack me" but hadn't disengaged it properly before she went out. Must admit I wasn't laughing at the time and she was reminded very firmly that we were not in downtown Manila and had security staff on the entrance - and a gate in addition to the front door...

Quote Originally Posted by muerte852:
    Got locked out earlier today, I had the key to the gate but the main door was locked so I kicked it open. The slider part of the lock was unlocked so I just had to deal with the locked doorknob which was still harder than I expected. I ended up breaking part of the door and part of the frame.

I need to know how much it costs to get a new one or if the damage I did is repairable from anyone who has had a similar repair made.
    Crikey, you were a silly b******!

Sounds like you busted the locking bay, and will need a new frame plus brand new lock. Or if you managed to kick the knob completely off the door, well....

I understand the security issue with calling a locksmith , say if you didn't live there, but ..given the fact that you seem agile and strong enough to kick a door open ( kickboxing style?) , why not just climb over the fence? Unless your gates are protected like max high security prison ????

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    Did you roundhouse kick it, Chuck Norris style?
    Sound more like Bruce Lee...sidekick or front kick.

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    LOL, Luckily it was just down to sheer stupidity. She'd double locked the gate "because I was alone and someone might break in and attack me" but hadn't disengaged it properly before she went out. Must admit I wasn't laughing at the time and she was reminded very firmly that we were not in downtown Manila and had security staff on the entrance - and a gate in addition to the front door...
    Now that you bring that up, our helper did something similar by chain-locking the front door - out of habit - after receiving a delivery. I was out at the time and when I returned home, our helper was out to lunch. I was shocked when after turning the key and pushing the door that it only opened a couple of inches before the chain pulled taut. I freaked out and ran to the back door to enter to flat - dreading what I my find. I found - nothing. No one. Just my dog giving me a curious look.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast