(Accurate) custom wood cutting

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

(Accurate) custom wood cutting

Hi All

So I am doing a small project that requires accurately shaped pieces of wood with a tolerance of 1mm or less but all simple straight cuts. I tried one of those small wood shops in Central where they cut the wood by hand with a rotary saw out on the street. What a joke! None of the cuts are even straight and the measurements can be off by up to 10mm!

So can anyone suggest a shop that is a bit more professional and has real wood-cutting equipment?

Thanks.

1mm tolerance is not very realistic

@dumbdonkey: Would you care to elaborate?

hello
    Actually, I am also looking for the same kind of service. My project would be to make aerodynamical fan blades and install on an existing ceiling fan. Kind of a hobby of mine.
    If such a cutting service is not available, I would even consider to buy (if possible second hand) a small hobby wood cutting maschine and do it myself.

For these kinds of accuracy, what you typically need is a studio with CNC milling & CNC laser cutter, rather than shops on Monkok/Central. Google this and you will find Chinese machines and their price ranges quite a bit, so if you got more than a few bucks to spare, great!

Alternatively you can assign a studio here in HK to carry out your job, but as you can imagine, whether they cater for you will depend on the project size.. etc etc.. Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by akrylik:
    @dumbdonkey: Would you care to elaborate?
    aka not possible. one can easily take 1mm off hardwood by manual sanding.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    aka not possible. one can easily take 1mm off hardwood by manual sanding.
    Not trying to turn this into an argument or anything, but technology is available with such accuracy, as I've mentioned in my earlier reply, and studios ran by professionals are here in HK. Time and again, there are projects which needs to be extremely accurate but as you point out; whether it is realistic to go to such lengths is another issue.

Quote Originally Posted by turboman:
    hello
    Actually, I am also looking for the same kind of service. My project would be to make aerodynamical fan blades and install on an existing ceiling fan. Kind of a hobby of mine.
    If such a cutting service is not available, I would even consider to buy (if possible second hand) a small hobby wood cutting maschine and do it myself.
    very interesting, do you do the twisting yourself as well? or do you leave the fan blades as flat?

Thanks everyone for the responses so far. I understand that my options are:

1. Hire a studio with CNC equipment or the manual skills to get accurate shapes.
    2. Have a less accurate wood shop cut slightly over-sized pieces and sand it myself down to the required dimensions by hand.

So with cheaper option 2, the better the quality of the wood shop the less sanding that would need to be done. So I could take all of my dimensions and add X mm but for a place like I went to originally, X has to be about 10mm? That would be a lot of sanding by hand.

Option 1 sounds really interesting and I would be willing to pay more for the privilege of interacting with people who really care about what they are doing. Could you tell me how I can find such places please?

Would option 1 have to be something like this?

Wood Shop 木頭店 -- Custom - Made

It seems their actual facilities are in Guangdong, China however...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast