Re-surfacing an entrance door

Re-surfacing an entrance door

Hi,

So a neighbour, through no fault of their own, ended up scratching our front door whilst moving some furniture (hired a couple of DHs for this work on a Sunday afternoon). The scratches are easily visible and the door is in need of repair. Our initial inquiry with a couple of renovators/handymen suggests that the door cannot be repaired and would need replacing. The cost of replacing the door would run into several thousands, so that would be absolute last resort and we would prefer that the front be resurfaced with an additional laminate covering.

We are okay with the door not looking exactly the same on the outside as it does on the inside. We may well be within our rights to demand a replacement, but the fact remains that the door hasn't been damaged to the point where it would be rendered useless. The damage is superficial and we'd prefer that it be repaired rather than replaced, given how we got to this situation in the first place.

Does anyone know if this can be done at all or is a replacement the only available/feasible solution?

Cheers,

DN

P.S. - I am fully aware that the handymen with whom we inquired about this situation would rather sell us a brand new door than perform any kind of repair work on the door.

Last edited by Dreadnought; 22-07-2012 at 01:18 AM.

I don't think I have seen any real carpenters in Hong Kong who could sand down the upper layer and add a new laminate for you. Sorry for not bring more useful.

Lets say you'd find somebody, what do you do without door for a few days? And I can't imagine that this whole procedure would be cheap without any DIY guys in Hong Kong. Sometimes I think this is the throw-away-and-replace capital of the world.

Any pic to show the condition?