Like Tree2Likes

Washing Machine and Clothes Dryer

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Washing Machine and Clothes Dryer

Hi,

Just bought a Miele washing machine and clothes dryer but cancelled my order as they cannot deliver and install on time. I already had some problems buying as the model in their brochure that I like was discontinued and the replacement costs 3K more.

Now, I'm in search for a washing machine and dryer, for a household of 5 people. Which brands can you recommend in terms of

1. Quality - I'm looking for something that lasts, not something I have to replace every other year.
    2. Energy efficiency
    3. Minimal water usage

Must be an EU drum type machine.

Let me know your experience on the brands you are recommending.

Miele's service is terrible. I'm not paying for that crappy service.

P.S. if you want to know more about my rant... Just PM me.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using GeoClicks Mobile

I'm a big fan of Siemens washing machines but I'm not sure if they're available in HK (sorry!). Slightly cheaper than Miele but classic German quality.

imparanoic likes this.

Thanks. Siemens is available but not sure if the ones sold here are made in Germany. I will head over to the shop to find out.

My mum and dad have a Novatronic series Miele washing machine and condensor dryer including the stacking kit with built in laundry basket slide out rest @ a cost of $5000AUS. They were purchased in 1996 and have never broken down 16 years on, still going strong.

Not many products you buy these days will give you that sort of trouble free lifespan. The washer also during its final spin cycle reaches speeds that I am not aware of any other manufacturer gets near, which gets most of the water out of the clothes making them a lot quicker to dry in the dryer. I cant remember exactly how fast but it was 2000RPM or possibly faster.

I personally think that Miele is worth paying the extra money for, if you plan to keep the machine for a very lengthy time. My only issue with them is they are incredibly heavy, built like a Panzer tank and only the best quality gauges of material are used. They also use a digital tachyometer that directly controls the speed of the wash/spin motor, there is no gearbox involved or belt, as I said, they are worth paying the extra money for. Siemens is o.k but it wont perform or last like a Miele will. A bit like comparing a VW Passat to a current 7 series BMW. they aren't comparable in my opinion.

Pay a little extra and be patient, it will be well worth it in the long run.

Last edited by Skyhook; 22-10-2012 at 10:33 PM.

Thanks Skyhook.

My current washing machine and dryer are both from Miele, and yes, the quality is really good. We used it for a long time and that's why I have no idea what other machines are there.

When I buy a premium machine, I also expect a premium service. But this wasn't the case with Miele in HK.

When something went wrong with our machine, it took weeks to get service.

I wanted to buy a new set and went to their showroom in SOGO. I was handed over a brochure which I studied and made a decision on what to purchase. I headed to the nearest shop that sells Miele, found out that what I want is already discontinued. But the salesperson found out AFTER checking when the items can be delivered. Then they recommended a replacement that is 3K more expensive. They promised to get back to me on alternatives based on my needs, and they never did.

I have to call Miele boutique again and again until I got an answer. It's like I'm begging them to sell their machined to me.

Finally, I bought one, and they can't deliver on time. They were forcing me to cancel my meetings at work or cancel my children's activities this weekend as their schedule cannot be changed. Take note that they called me at 7 pm to let me know when they can deliver and install the machine and that they can't change their delivery schedule.

Wow, it was like I was begging them to sell me their machines, and I have to drop whatever I'm doing for them to do the installation?

Miele HK's marketing, sales, and customer service is really terrible! Even if they have quality products they will lose their loyal customers with this kind of service.

Oh, we also have the Novatronic series :-)

Thanks for the run down, Sniffer...

If that's the case, your experience sounds horrible. I would send a letter to Miele head office and inform them of the sloppy treatment, the agent in HK deserves a very swift kick in the arse, and if they are only an agent and not company distributed/controlled by Miele Germany, then it might be time that the parent company stepped in if it is being represented badly.

Their corporate details are:

Carl-Miele-Strasse 29, D-33332 Gütersloh, Germany
    Fax (49) (5241) 89-2090 < fax them an incident report of what has gone on and wait for a reply, they will respond I can assure you. Attention your complaint to Mr Marcus Miele and Reinhard Zinkann, who are 4th generation members of the family owned company now at the helm.

Dont let typical HK mismanagement get you down, get something done about it that benefits you with items you ordered, and inform the German parent that they have a representation problem in Hong Kong. Detail your experience in a professional manner, keep your cool, let Miele Germany decide what is to happen next. It's o.k, you're only a repeat customer ...

If I was the owner, I would be very interested in knowing of any issues abroad re brand representation and general operation of the branch, especially where customer contact was less than what is expected of such a historic company ( started in the late 19th century ). Miele is to front loading washing machines, what Daimler Benz is to cars....

Last edited by Skyhook; 22-10-2012 at 11:37 PM.

Thanks again! I will definitely write to them!

And I never thought of writing a complaint to Miele in Germany!

I wish I found this thread earlier! I have just experienced the awful service of Miele HK:

I bought the machine and got it delivered home by two Miele guys who asked me to sign the acknowledgment of receipt---*before* the machine was installed.
    One hour later a technician came to install it, and found out that the machine needed an extension cable, and having that in place apparently costs 800 HKD.

800 HKD for a meter of plastic tube. Nicely done, Miele HK.

Since the machine could not installed in the proper place, and since his task was to "install it", the technician decided to make a precarious installation of the machine, with an electric cable pending over the laundry washbasin.
    To make the situation a little bit more interesting, the guy did not speak a word of English and left our premises while I was talking to my wife at the phone.

I wrote a formal complaint to Miele HK that such a cheap service is not acceptable from a company that advertises itself as top of the line in the market. No reply so far, perhaps I should also send my complaint directly to Germany.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast