Like Tree23Likes

Home Security in Hong Kong

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs
    Same : No, No and No
    One of the reasons we are here and wish to continue to live here is the security.
    Vast majority of the time, our front door remains unlocked.
    That used to be our position until the ground floor of our home was broken into (we live in a gated community on the south side with 24 hour security guards and CCTV outside). Fortunately (or unfortunately for the criminal) he went through a window into the room where our dogs sleep and they snapped him a bit and he jumped back out and over the back gate. Nothing taken, nobody hurt in the house, but a sobering experience for us as we had been so relaxed and always felt so safe in HK (i'd never heard of a break in except rarely in village houses in the NT) - which I still think is a major plus for the city.

Oh, and since the incident the only thing we have changed is locking the doors and windows on the ground floor at night. The CCTV cameras in place didn't get a good picture of the guy and woudn't consider adding more. Our "security" guards slept through the event and we had to wake them up to get the CCTV footage for the police.
    Last edited by elliee; 26-10-2012 at 11:46 AM.

i also think most people who have lived in hk for any length of time, know to go to Sham Shui Po to get a cctv cam and it costs a pittance to buy/set up.

so, in short.... your idea for a biz isn't such a great one.

No, no & no too. We do have 'security' downstairs, but we have lived in places without and wouldn't of felt we needed them then either.
    I've seen them sold in places before anyway so don't see a market for this.

Dear Sir,

do you currently have Magnavolt products in stock?
    I would like something similar to this model:

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by robertlempriere
    Dear Sir,

do you currently have Magnavolt products in stock?
    I would like something similar to this model:

thanks!
    Haha that's wonderful! If only the laws would allow us to.

Quote Originally Posted by elliee
    That used to be our position until the ground floor of our home was broken into....i'd never heard of a break in except rarely in village houses in the NT
    Not to shatter any illusions but breakins in Hong Kong are extremely common, all over the city (not just NT village houses).

Where there is access and opportunity (lower flats in old buildings) the thieves will make an attempt.

I dont worry because:
    a) we live in relatively high floor
    b) we have nothing worth stealing
    c) we have an old man downstairs pretending to be security

Elliee I am sorry that you went through such an ordeal.

I note that people think I am setting up a Biz or have thenotion to set up a business in home security. The fact is I am in security, myemployer supplies manpower and systems in HK in many housing estates andcommercial buildings at all levels. We have brought a new partner to Hong Kongin Security systems from Germany. Most of the products are geared towards thecommercial use, however there are some that home owners would like, so I amtrying to see what the "general" feeling is amongst expats.

Village houses are an "easy" target for theft when you look at the risk assessments. However, Ithink many of you would be in surprised to know that many burglaries happen at high-risebuildings. Park Island was hit by a burglar 3 times in 4 months his MO is toclimb up the exterior drain pipes enters and exits with few traces. Tsing yihad 100 outdated low quality CCTV cameras, lowest bidding manpower for securityand 3 units were burglarized in 2 separate waves.
    Likeeverything in life “you get what you pay for”. Sham Shui po does have manycheap systems on the market, but in picture quality and reliability they canonly do so much. Consider you can save on insurance alone. Systems can monitorfor smoke, fire and water detection while you are back in the country of originfor holidays.

In all the years I have been in Hong Kong, the only thing that ever got stolen from me is my bicycle seat downstairs where lots of other bicycles are stored/parked. I would have been interested in bicycle security, like a zapper or something but that would kill the poor 4 year old who parks her tricycle next to my bicycle if she brushed against it when taking hers off the stand. Yeah, that wouldn't work.

>> Systems can monitorfor smoke, fire and water detection while you are back in the country of origin for holidays.

We call those systems helpers.

On a more serious note:

- Break ins happen when construction is going on and there is scaffolding in place.
    - Domestic theft is often related to the helper. We had someone who took some expensive stuff away a day at a time the week before her last day at work and this has been repeated several times with familes we know).
    - In housing estates like where we live, there are several barriers to entry, which deter your common opportunists ( security patrols at night, combinations door codes, double locked doors, low foot traffic approach to the building )
    - Biggest problem lately in the security industry has been finding the right security guards. The construction boom has made it expensive ( Our security company just resigned and walked away from a multi-million dollar contract as they could not meet their obligations, specially in the ex-gurkha / experienced supervisors area).

No need for CCTV and all that stuff in the house ... we already have way too much going on in our lives to bring paranoia ( you may call it whatever.. after a certain level of being self aware, I call it paranoia ) into our houses.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast