Like Tree23Likes

Home Security in Hong Kong

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Consider you can save on insurance alone. {...} while you are back in the country of originfor holidays.
    Two major assumptions which are completely invalid in my case, and, I suspect, in the case of many others.
    bryant.english and carang like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    >> Systems can monitorfor smoke, fire and water detection while you are back in the country of origin for holidays.

We call those systems helpers.
    our helper isn't always home when we aren't, and also wouldn't want her caught up in a fire if there was one (our neighbour's idiot teenagers burded a sofa on their roof a while back, so not entirely outside the realm of possibility...). will admit that we have installed smoke and carbon monoxide detectors since moving to HK. they are standard (required by law i think) everywhere i have lived before HK, but seem less common in HK residential buildings? hadn't really thought of that as part of home security, but i guess it is.

@Matthew. Try something else.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs
    Not to shatter any illusions but breakins in Hong Kong are extremely common, all over the city (not just NT village houses).
    Yep, learned after the fact. Was suprised when the police told us how many break ins/ attempts there were in Redhill alone over the last year.

and OP: please don't change the font format... it's extremely hard to read your posts....

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english
    @Matthew. Try something else.
    +1

Some ideas:
    - A training centre for existing security personnel (right up your alley).
    - A centre for training better quality helpers (which may enhance their income beyond the statutory minimum).
    - A training centre for driving etiquette and skills (you might try to secure a gummint contract to send traffic offenders your way).
    - It's hard to get a cheap pint, so a pub in a low-rent area would be nice. A good variety of local and imported ales and lagers on tap would be very much appreciated.
    Fatelvis and elliee like this.

[[email protected];2179138]
    a) Do you feel that security alarms or CCTV surveillance is necessaryin the home?
    b) Do you have an alarm or CCTV surveillance syetem in your flat or villiage house?
    c) Do you wish to have one but just do not know where to find?

a) I think alarms are. We have had a lot of break ins in our village over the three years I have lived in it (7 times in a village of 12 houses), including my own house at 4 in the morning - though ironically when we were burgled we did actually have the alarm installed but it wasn't activated because I didn't think it was necessary. I think they are useful at night but less so during the day as people ignore them.

I think CCTV is less effective, as do the police that I have spoken to regarding neighbourhood watch issues. Our neighbours were broken into a month or so ago, during the day. They have CCTV everywhere and an alarm and it didn't bother the burglars at all as the house was empty, they were in and out in no time , and they wore masks to prevent identification. The only benefit of CCTV was that the neighbour was alerted on her mobile phone to the break in when the alarm went off and her phone then showed her the footage of the burglars so she could see what they were up to - still couldn't do anything about it though.

b) Yes.

c) Security system companies are very easy to find here.

Quote Originally Posted by elliee
    Yep, learned after the fact. Was suprised when the police told us how many break ins/ attempts there were in Redhill alone over the last year.
    RedHill, Stanley, Parts of DB, HongLokYuen (and many more around town) : all with lower level housing and high income families that take vacations regularly. These are all perfect places for thieves.

we've had 1 break-in in the village in 5+ years. most likely by IIs.... we do get a lot of those in our area, living up in the hills...

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Park Island was hit by a burglar 3 times in 4 months his MO is toclimb up the exterior drain pipes enters and exits with few traces.
    Someone call Randy1, Park Island property bust confirmed!
    elle likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast