Like Tree1Likes

Gas leak and pipe replacement in rental property

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by 441211:
    Hi, I'll also be living at this property. It was Towngas who detected the leak as part of their standard tests when they came to activate the gas supply. They subsequently scheduled a follow-up appointment with an "expert", who then came to do a more thorough inspection. I don't know if he did an air pressure test, but he spent about an hour fiddling with the supply, and running a detector along all the walls and floors. However he didn't find the source of the leak, and said he couldn't do any more because all the pipework is concealed in the walls and floors. So his verdict was that the only safe solution is to change or reinstall all the pipes. Towngas themselves will be the ones to come and fit the new pipes, so I assume (?) they know what they are doing and won't be approving anything dangerous. Still, I'm never completely sure and someone may overlook something...

I was leaning towards accepting this risk, but now I'm not so sure anymore.
    Did they dissconnect one end of pipe and stick a gadget to take a reading? That is the air test.

I suspect the running of detectors is to identify where the pipes are concealed in the wall/ ceiling and floors.

The installation of brand new pipes should be viewed as alternative option due to LL reluctance on opening up to expose pipework and not viewed as a safer option.

If Towngas reported the 'small leak' and will subsequently be carrying the works then I would be suspicious as they have vested interest in the job. Again LL concern not yours.

I couldn't tell what he was doing in the kitchen kitchen cupboard around the pipes. It can't really fit two people!

Well, the two options are to dig up the floor and change the pipes, or install new pipes via a different ad-hoc route - the former obviously being massively more expensive. But I guess both are equally safe?

As for Towngas having a vested interested and lying about it... I really have no idea. Surely they wouldn't be this disreputable? They would need to coordinate the scam at quite a high level as all the people involved (3 different technicians have come so far) would all need to be in on it and lie about it.

It is generally more risky to dig up the floors/ walls to isolate and then fix the leak, depending on age of building, it would be like opening up a can of worms. So this is definitely a more costly option.

There is no need to guess on whether its safe or not, do the homework and check that Towngas has a valid license for this kind of work. On completion of the work, get a certificate signed off by them then that should put your mind at ease.

Towngas is one of the largest public utilities in Hong Kong. They aren't some little back street fly boys. Of course they're licensed!

nopain likes this.