Kitchen mould woes

Kitchen mould woes

Wow, exciting, apparently my last post was in 2007.

In over 7 years in HK I've never had a serious mould problem in any rented apartment. Since owning a place, of course we have a problem! Cleaning the superficial stuff is fine, but the kitchen seems to have a serious year-round issue in all the cupboards and drawers along the external wall, and no issue in those on the opposite wall, so I'm thinking we may have a problem with the wall itself or the large window in it. No visible leaks, but then the entire wall is covered in kitchen units.

Any suggestions on how to investigate or recommendations on where to look for help? I'm wary of going to just any random fix-it place for this one. The apartment is in DB.

Doug.

My understanding from a friend who lives in DB is that the HKR management can be extremely helpful in addressing this sort of stuff. Have you tried speaking to them?

Sounds very much like you have an issue with the wall to me. NOthing for it but to remove the cupboards and have a look. If you are lucky, sealing the wall may solve the problem.

dougp, which phase in DB are you living in? If you're in Neo Horizon, mold is unfortunately a common problem there due to a number of factors.
    I disagree with Gruntfuttock regarding the help you can expect from HKR when it comes to mold though. They are helpful with recommendations when it comes to Termite or Pest Control, but not when it comes to mold (I know that from experience, not from hearsay).
    I's recommend you to give Good Luck Engineering (2987 1313) a call to have a look at the problem.

My friend's experience (which was recounted to me in some detail) concerned dampness on a wall due to problems with embedded pipework, so obviously experiences vary. He is in Parkvale, for what it's worth. Since HKR management is free to ask and other companies are not it seems to me that at least giving them a try would make sense.

I buy spray cans of dettol from the supermarket and spray all the walls in my apartment every year about this time to kill mould spores :kind of like it's spray paint : wear a mask and ventilate and make sure pilots are off in the kitchen that stuff is highly flammable . I have those very absorbent soft plaster walls that go completely black with mould otherwise ' and the ceiling too

Sent from my ST27i using GeoClicks Mobile

Thanks for the replies. I guess it can't hurt to try management - we've just been trying to deal with it up to now, but I think it's beyond the normal level, probably a deeper problem.

Hi Doug, Have you tried buying those dehumidifier pots with charcoal inside from the supermarket or Japan Home Center? Apperantly it is a continues challenge in HK to fight againts mould. In every cupboard in our kitchen we have placed a dehumidifier pot, in the closet we have hung multiple dehumidifier sacks and in the shoe cabinets we have placed dehumidifier pots as well to prevent moulding, and it helps.

Another way to disinfect your cupboard is adding a few drops of pure Tea Tree oil in a water spray bottle and spray the infested area to your hearts content. Be sure to wipe the infested area with a mouth cloth on as mould can be damaging to your health. Good luck!