Like Tree6Likes

Where to get spacers / standoffs and other miscellaneous hardware?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where to get spacers / standoffs and other miscellaneous hardware?

Any suggestions as to where I might be able to find spacers like the ones in the link below? More broadly, is there somewhere that carries a large selection of random hardware - spacers, washers, screws, nuts, and the like?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#unthreaded-spacers/=m1li0v

When I was living in the United States I used McMaster-Carr all the time for various random bits of hardware, and a lot of the stuff that they sell comes from Hong Kong, but I've had no luck at all finding a store that sells similar items here.

Any suggestions?

So I had no luck finding the hardware that I'd been looking for on Reclamation Street or anywhere else, for that matter. I finally gave up and made spacers out of wood block, which don't look as nice but do the job. However, while I was searching for hardware, one company stood out in terms of sheer dogged positive customer service, particularly since my gwóngdūngwá isn't great. That business was:

Lee's Metal Company Limited
    G/F, 248 Reclamation Street
    Yau Ma Tei, Kowloon
    phone 2332 5943
    fax 2770 7571

If you're looking for a good selection of random hardware (screws, nuts, bolts, pipe fittings, etc.) I'd highly recommend them.

jgl, HK2A430 and INXS like this.

Thanks for the recommendation, and thanks for following up. I hate it when people ask questions online and then not follow up.

Some of that you can get at Appliu St., Sham Shui Po. I also used Taobao in the past or "Choi Ga" in Shenzhen (which would be both easier than Hong Kong). In fact if you ever need M3 or M4 hex spacers, be my guest i have a fee kilo's in various sizes because of a wrong order (M4) and because I didn't need as much as anticipated (M3).

I will have a look at the shop you recommended when I get to Mong Kok/Yau Ma Tei next time, I have a new project coming up.

Ah, spacers...the bane of my life! Without a lathe and appropriate raw material, you're pretty much up shit creek if you can't find any place to buy them. That said, McMaster-Carr does export. I once had a bunch of stuff expensively shipped to me in the UK (in their "no, you cannot confirm at the next step, you've already placed the bloody order" kind of way)...

Yes, thanks for posting a follow-up. Google will certainly be sending you a roylaty cheque real soon!

Joyojc & INXS - Thanks for the positive feedback!

100LL - I appreciate the recommendation; I'll check out Appliu Street next time. Also, I should've thought of Taobao, I'll see what's up there next time I need random hardware. The size of the spacers I needed was part of the problem - I was looking for something like 1/4" ID x 1 1/2" (M6 ID x 38mm), which is long and thin enough to be quite rare or expensive. Off topic: I'm guessing from your icon and username that you've spent time in Robinsons or Schweizers? I used to fly (all fixed wing stuff) when I lived in the US, but never got my rotary wing endorsement, unfortunately!

Lootoo - Wouldn't it be nice to have a full shop? Some of my friends have these hobby-size combination lathes/mills, and I've often thought about getting one, but somehow I don't think that the return on investment is there for me... I'd have to need spacers and other random hardware a whole lot more often to make the $$$ well-spent. Speaking of which, as much as I wish that I was getting a kickback from the Googs, the only metal that's changed hands is 18-8 stainless, with threads!

I don't have a full shop, but I have been thinking about buying a CNC mill. There are some good ones made in China, but I have never found anyone in HK selling machine tools. What are you building, if I may ask?

I have a mill the size of a tree and CNC machines the size of a van together with an even bigger SMT line and a reflow oven that makes a conveyer belt at the airport look bad.

(well, not me actually, my partner so i walk through a door and thats it).

So if you ever need anything in this direction you nee to get yourself to Kwai Chung and I'll introduce you to Tony.

Sfalex, I used to fly both but sadly not anymore. I am now stuck in an office all day long. No 300 in HK but some R22, R44 and even a Gumbal Capri G2 (along with a few proper helicopters).

Last edited by 100LL; 17-04-2013 at 09:56 PM.
    imparanoic and Lootoo like this.

there are guys operating lathes on the street south of argyle street altho i think ya gongdongwa might get stretched,,

ofcourse theres always tom next to simon in sai kung........

You mean Tom who charges $450hkd per hour ? or do you mean Mark who is located next to Brookside Motor Garage ( Simon V's motorbike repair workshop is on the right side of Brookkside, Mark is on the left side, (Toms workshop is 2 doors down from Brookside ), who has a full workshop with lathes, fitting and turning equipment etc who is quite a helpful British bloke, and he's a fully qualified mechanical engineer, which will greatly help. His prices are also fair & reasonable IMHO.

Last edited by Skyhook; 18-04-2013 at 12:55 AM.
    Lootoo likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast