Like Tree9Likes

Tenant Vs Landlord Responsibility?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Tenant Vs Landlord Responsibility?

So the sliding glass door to my balcony broke today, not the glass, just the ability to slide. The original LL was very responsive and paid for all repairs the apartment needed in the past, but the apartment was sold and now there's a new LL. Under a standard contract, who's responsibility is it to pay for the repair of the balcony door?

I spoke with the maintenance guy at the complex and he tried to fix it, assuming the problem that it had simply come off the tracks but he believes the wheels on the base of the door have broke and are blocking the door from sliding.

And if it is my responsibility, any suggestions on who to call to come and fix it?

If your rental agreement was valid during the time of sale and handover, then the new landlord should be responsible for any wear and tear or the working order of the apartment that is beyond your control or not as a result of your action. I would reread your contract/ rental agreement that confirms this and if it does, then you have the right to show this as proof of his or her responsibility.

What bugs me, ( in the UAE the situation is much much worse, but that is a different issue) is the false economy that landlords have here regarding their property. They decorate and build and fittings so cheap that within a year, or less ( speaking from experience more than a few times over, and in a western country ) falls apart and then they have to hire someone ( usually a " relative" or dodgy neighbour) to fix it all the while blaming you for " overuse"?

If the door malfunctioning is not from your misuse, but a structural issue, then it is the LL problem, not yours.

First -read your contact carefully. Usually it states who is responsible for repairs.

If it is your responsibility the management company usually has a list of repairmen who can help.

I have found in the past that if the problem is small and easily solved I have paid for the repairs. It makes life so much easier than going after a typical local landlord who is as tight as a crab's ass with money.

For another perspective my previous and new landlord (same apartment) were / are very responsive and so far have arranged to fix things and always paid for it without any questions asked. Perhaps they are not the typical landlord, or I am paying too much rent.

Anyway, doesn't hurt to contact the LL and ask.

Last edited by Raccon; 28-07-2013 at 09:24 PM.

I spoke with the LL and said she didn't know who was responsible and would have to check. I told her I assumed it was her responsibility since its structural and she said "Oh? Door is structural? But do you open and close it every day?" As if my daily use of a door negates the fact that its a structural component of the apartment...

Quote Originally Posted by MCDC:
    I spoke with the LL and said she didn't know who was responsible and would have to check. I told her I assumed it was her responsibility since its structural and she said "Oh? Door is structural? But do you open and close it every day?" As if my daily use of a door negates the fact that its a structural component of the apartment...
    A door is not structural. If you removed it the house wouldn't fall down.

If I were the landlord I'd try to make you repair it, that way you'd be more gentle with the doors next time...

You broke the door, you fix it, I had the same issue with my sliding door + the sliding mosquito screen, anything wrong with it, i had to fix it myself.

If your light bulb died, would you ask your landlord to replace or fix it, all you did was turn on and turn off daily, just like you open and close the sliding doors????

INXS likes this.

I'd expect a lightbulb to die at some point during my stay at the apartment, I wouldn't expect my door to break from normal use.
    Not overly concerned if I have to pay to repair this, but if its not my responsibility then I would expect the LL to pay up.

Stupid analogy, a light bulb is very cheap and most people can replace it by themselves.

For repairing the door you would probably need a repairmen and it will cost much more. Surely I would ask the landlord to fix it, just like I did when my toilet started leaking (that I flush daily) or when the bathroom fan stopped working (that I switched on/off daily).

really its part of his apartment so he should fix it.

worst case = get the cheapest door u can buy bet it can be fixed tho.. or bodged to work..

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast