Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By flameproof

Heavy duty mechanical timers for window ac?

Closed Thread

Heavy duty mechanical timers for window ac?

Does anybody use timers (the plug type) on their simple window air conditioning units? We moved and are now dealing with 2 window units in kids' rooms (considering replacing as they're a little loud and old, need to talk to land lord), but usually had ac on for few hours then switch off. Just don't always want to stay up to switch them off ... Was thinking of putting the plug timers in? Experience, where to get heavy duty ones (only finding lots of Alibaba links). TIA.

Ap Liu Street in Sham Shui Po you should be able to find what you need. (and lots of stuff you don't )

Exit C2 from the MTR Station is generally a good starting point.

http://hk.f1.page.auctions.yahoo.com...ion/b22244172?

yahoo auctions have it, message them *( just open any yahoo account will do and leave your number), meet the seller at a mutually convenient mtr (seems like the seller meets at kwun tong mtr/yau tong), see the goods then trade

http://hk.f1.page.auctions.yahoo.com...?aID=b22244172

A/C have a high current consumption. I presume it's a small one, but I guess it still draws 3-4 A. That makes the power at about 1000W - make sure that your timer has at least double that rating or it may melts.

imparanoic likes this.

Have you checked the plug on the A/C unit? I had the same idea until I realised that mine had 3 large, circular prongs. I considered getting an adaptor to convert it so that I could use a similar timer to that pictured but then thought that it might have been set up that way for a reason. Not willing to risk a fire, I gave up. I use the A/C to cool the room when I get in at night and then switch over to a fan with a timer for sleeping.

Quote Originally Posted by tinlissie:
    Have you checked the plug on the A/C unit? I had the same idea until I realised that mine had 3 large, circular prongs. I considered getting an adaptor.....

That's the old HK type. I suggest you cut the plug off and change to the now common HK/UK type. And change the socket too.

Don't use adapters for high power stuff! They do get warm and can melt!

In the ol' days there very several plug standards in HK, or maybe no standard, and we build futuristic sculptures out of multiple adapters.

the window 3/4hp AC that I have in my house, all come with inbuilt off timer, you just twist the knob for how to long to leave the ac on and then it will turn off itself. If the AC needs changing then tell LL to buy ones with built in timer.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    the window 3/4hp AC that I have in my house, all come with inbuilt off timer, you just twist the knob for how to long to leave the ac on and then it will turn off itself. If the AC needs changing then tell LL to buy ones with built in timer.
    Plus, A/Cs are quite cheap nowadays, have remote control, use less energy, and are less noisy.....and have a timer.

Just check that the dimensions are exactly the same. Rest is a piece of mooncake.