Broken Toilet

Closed Thread

Broken Toilet

Does anyone know what the rules and regulations are regarding repairs in HK?

All of the toilets in our building have not been working since last Thursday, which is beyond annoying being 5 months pregnant and needing to use the toilet every hour. (we've been putting water into the tank and flushing that way).

Can we do anything given that it's effecting the entire building? Can our landlord do anything, or are we literally shit out of luck?

...........b

Have you spoken to the management company of the building? As they'd be the ones that are dealing with it rather than the landlord.

The first people you should talk to are your building management people (assuming you are in a building that has some on-site). They should at least be able to tell you what the problem is and when it is likely to be fixed.

Failing that, call the water services department. This page gives the number to call and the key sequence to get to the people to report no supply: Water Supplies Department - Contact WSD

broken toilet

After 2 weeks of no working toilets, and no response from our landlord till today, we are totally fed up! Our landlord said that there is nothing she can do for us in terms of reducing the rent for those two weeks either.

In the past she has been super flaky about getting things done (she'll send someone at to fix something and it won't be fixed, or the guy won't show up). She said it will be fixed by tomorrow (we shall see).

We spoke with building management and they have also just been putting it off (it'll be fixed tomorrow...ect..). I wish someone would just give us a straight answer. Is beating around the bush the norm here?

Did you call the Water Services Department? If no toilets in the building are working (and there are other apartments in the building) then it really isn't your landlord's problem as far as I can see.

toilet woes

I did contact the water department....and they said it was a building management problem. The machine that pumps the water throughout the building is broken.

Still seems ridiculous that it's been two weeks.

I suggest ring the landlord again, until they get it fixed. Be persistent!

Two weeks does seem an extraordinarily long time to fix a pump. If I was an owner in that building I would be withholding the management fee since the building management company are clearly not doing the job they are paid to do. Why not suggest that to your landlord and that you should split the saving?

Quote Originally Posted by Louiseamanda:
    I suggest ring the landlord again, until they get it fixed. Be persistent!
    Its not the Landlords issue/problem though as its the pump for the whole building as opposed to the single toilet itself.

The issue is clearly with the building management company and nobody else.

Yes, I meant, whoever you are told to ring to get things in your house/flat 'fixed'.

We can only contact one 'office' number, there is no alternative and they coordinate the repairs.

If all the toliets aren't working surely there are many people complaining to the management?

Alternatively it may be best to go into the office and speak directly - in a friendly way but firm.