Like Tree19Likes

Home Improvement / Hardware Stores

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jeri:
    Are you looking for electrical equipment like drills? (Reminds me of Tool Time in Home Improvement), or are you looking for stuff like wooden boards and planks so you can DIY it to your own desired specifications?
    Just DIY Stuff in general really as I'm trying to adjust life to HK and thought that it would be best to know where common stuff are. well... common in UK anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by MHK:
    Just DIY Stuff in general really as I'm trying to adjust life to HK and thought that it would be best to know where common stuff are. well... common in UK anyways.
    Some of the most common things UK expats miss when living in HK are English supermarkets, DIY superstores and Boots. You'll get used to living without them and find local alternatives. But when you go back to visit the UK, you probably will spend a lot of time being awestruck when you first set foot again in Tesco etc. I moved back to London 2 months ago (after 3 years in HK) and was so overwhelmed (in a good way!) on my first visit to Sainsbury's that another customer actually asked me if I was alright? It took me a couple of weeks to get used to it again and now I'm back to moaning about how there's nothing to buy in Sainsbury's and missing random US/Australian goodies that I could buy in Fusion in HK. Never satisfied lol.

For basic DIY (screwdrivers etc) or housey stuff, Wing On is always a safe bet. As you get more confident (or feel less foreign!), there are quite a few little shops along the western end of Wellington St as well as a Japan Home Store.
    shri likes this.

there are advantages and disadvantages in both small diy stores and large western style diy stores,

you need 4 screws, but you are forced to pay 2.99 for pack of 30 in UK, here you can get 10 for HK$7.

but there again, the vast range in uk is mesmerizing compared to ones in HK, the fact that most locals never do DIY, not even assembling Ikea items.

Funny thing about this, B & Q tried to educate the hk market with in store classes in their mega store in Kowloon bay on the benefits of DIY, most people walked past them, no wonder it close, also factors, on average people in uk have twice of holiday days than a large proportion of HK people.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    Some of the most common things UK expats miss when living in HK are English supermarkets, DIY superstores and Boots. You'll get used to living without them and find local alternatives. But when you go back to visit the UK, you probably will spend a lot of time being awestruck when you first set foot again in Tesco etc. I moved back to London 2 months ago (after 3 years in HK) and was so overwhelmed (in a good way!) on my first visit to Sainsbury's that another customer actually asked me if I was alright? It took me a couple of weeks to get used to it again and now I'm back to moaning about how there's nothing to buy in Sainsbury's and missing random US/Australian goodies that I could buy in Fusion in HK. Never satisfied lol.

For basic DIY (screwdrivers etc) or housey stuff, Wing On is always a safe bet. As you get more confident (or feel less foreign!), there are quite a few little shops along the western end of Wellington St as well as a Japan Home Store.
    actually, HK is pretty western friendly in supermarket wise and some branches are pretty big ( for hk standards) and have quiet extensive western brands

you want to go to japan, china, Thailand and korea, which has substantial less western brands in food grocery

Quote Originally Posted by MHK:
    Thanks for the link, appreciated, but the site is in cantonese... I can only read english
    Same here. But it's totally worth getting over that.

1. Translate the item you want on Google
    2. Search it in Taobao

The signing up and paying process is a bit troublesome though. Ask of a co-worker has a Taobao ID and can help you, or buy it for you.

Delivery fee to HK is typically HK$40-50 for small stuff. Often you have the items within 24 hours!

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    Delivery fee to HK is typically HK$40-50 for small stuff. Often you have the items within 24 hours!
    If you have an SF shop near (they are everywhere), get it delivered to there for self pick up and pay the delivery yourself. Charge up to 1 Kg is 38 HK$, more often than not arrives the next day. In exceptional cases it can get delayed by China customs.

Quote Originally Posted by hktraveller:
    If you have an SF shop near (they are everywhere), get it delivered to there for self pick up and pay the delivery yourself. Charge up to 1 Kg is 38 HK$, more often than not arrives the next day. In exceptional cases it can get delayed by China customs.
    What is an SF shop?

I've often pondered Taobao - but I thought it was like alibaba where they want you to buy 100 of everything.. is it ok for small purchases? What about fakes - how much of a risk is that? I have plenty of chinese staff who could help me .. and google translate does a half-decent job of translating the site anyway...
    Last edited by HK_Katherine; 20-08-2014 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    What is an SF shop?
    sf express, cheap local/china based courier
    d0m and HK_Katherine like this.

What is an SF shop?
    SF Express / 順豐速運 / 顺丰 / Shùnfēng sù yùn

I would prefer delivery to the office, SF staff often speaks only rudimentary English.
    Last edited by flameproof; 20-08-2014 at 10:18 AM.
    HK_Katherine and imparanoic like this.

W
    I've often pondered Taobao - but I thought it was like alibaba where they want you to buy 100 of everything.. is it ok for small purchases? What about fakes - how much of a risk is that? I have plenty of chinese staff who could help me ..
    Taobao is a retail site. Often I buy stuff below RMB 10 that is impossible to find in HK. Most stuff is unbranded anyway, but that LV bag for RMB 99 you saw is obviously fake. In general I would NOT buy western brands on Taobao, they are either fake, or more expensive then in HK.
    HK_Katherine likes this.