Air conditioner maintenance

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Air conditioner maintenance

For those of us who have a split air conditioner unit, where the external compressor is outside the building and not easily accessible (due to being in a high rise):

1. How often does the external compressor need maintenance work? Even as simple as routine cleaning / clearing?

2. How is this done if you live in a high rise?

3. And if the answer to (2) is scaffolding, then why is there not more scaffolding (anecdotally) around in apartment buildings whilst everyone randomly has their air con units serviced or fixed?

I feel like I am missing a secret about air conditioning in apartments in HK here!

Thanks

usually the external compressor doesnt need much work done on it or you would see scaffolding being fixed every other week on every building in HK.

You only clean and maintain the inside house component.

Am I right in thinking that it is a legal requirement that the external compressor water discharge drains into a drainage pipe (as opposed to being free to drip below)?

Also - how do you know when your A/C needs regassing? I appreciate that if it is obviously not "cool" then that may be the case, but wondered if there were any checks necessary well before a total failure.

Sorry, but also: if you stick a thermometer directly at the split a/c output and put the A/C on maximum cooling, typically what sort of temperature air flow output should a unit be producing? It's clearly much cooler than the target room temperature of, say, 21 - 25oC

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    usually the external compressor doesnt need much work done on it or you would see scaffolding being fixed every other week on every building in HK.

You only clean and maintain the inside house component.
    That is what I thought too - as I don't see scaffolding springing up around blocks all the time just because someone on the 40th floor needs their A/C compressor cleaned....

I guess one of the few upsides of being a tenant is being able to just ring the LLand ask for the AC to be "fixed". Ours were underperforming even though we had them majorly serviced last year by the manufacturers. We were confused why they would be struggling so soon and swore they needed new gas. A repair man came Saturday and it seems we just needed to get them cleaned.

So we'll be taking out the simple filters to wash them regularly now. And for now our indoor thermometer has gone down to 22 for the first time in months.

Thanks - did the repair man clean the outside compressor too? The inside part is relatively easy as a DIY job

Quote Originally Posted by dossier:
    Thanks - did the repair man clean the outside compressor too? The inside part is relatively easy as a DIY job
    No, but they did for the window unit last year. I should add, the repairman now noticed that the outdoor drain pipe has been blocked off/uninstalled. We have problems with the AC dripping on the bed (although maybe that's unrelated?).

If you're renting, dossier, can't you just ask your landlord to do a repair?

When you get your AC cleaned, do they take out the rolling motor fins and completely clean the unit or do they just do a quick clean of what is easily reachable without dismantling the AC?

Also, what about topping off the gas/freon? I have a few larger units in the bigger rooms and smaller split types in the smaller rooms which don't get as cold. I'm wondering if it's because they are smaller or if they need a top off.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast