Like Tree7Likes

Water Spots on Shower Doors

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy Water Spots on Shower Doors

I'm new to Hong Kong and I'm having trouble with the water spots on my shower doors. For the life of me, I have not been able to get them off! The doors gets squeegeed after every shower but that has done little to deter the spots and I haven't been able to find any products that have been able to remove them.

I have tried: an Asian bathroom cleaner that is similar to Mr.Clean? I don't know the name of it but it advertises that it works on shower doors. I have also tried Cif cream to no avail. I have tried leaving both products on the doors for about 15 mins and have used a scrubby sponge, but nope. Spots are still there.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Steam cleaner, need a few passes but your shower doors will be crystal clear!

East_coast likes this.

Vinegar and water mix usually works

If you talk about soap scum then good luck. So far nothing had worked for me. I tried a range of methods, including vinegar, borax, a few house cleaners. So I couldn't find any non-abrasive method.

Let me know if you find any. I read about the steamer before, but soap scum seems mineralic, so I can't see what good steam should do (and I don't have a steamer anyway).

Ignore them?

Mat, wtbhotia, jgl and 1 others like this.

If you really are very fussy

Get some glass polishing compound and polish the area you feel is not like new

After you are happy with the quality of the finish apply some hydrophobic coating so it stays clean

Am I the only person who's read the thread title as Water Sports and Golden Showers?

Quote Originally Posted by happy_camper:
    If you talk about soap scum then good luck. So far nothing had worked for me. I tried a range of methods, including vinegar, borax, a few house cleaners. So I couldn't find any non-abrasive method.

Let me know if you find any. I read about the steamer before, but soap scum seems mineralic, so I can't see what good steam should do (and I don't have a steamer anyway).
    Purchasing one will solve that problem!

Mr muscle and a good scrubber on first clean. You will have to scrub hard then use glass cleaner, scrub off, then rinse. Dry with a towel. After each shower, use one pf those scrapers or an old rag or towel to dry the glass. I do this after each time. It sounds time consumng, but after the initial hard work, just wipe clean and keep the fan running after shower, and it should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoob:
    Purchasing one will solve that problem!
    I got and did lots of stuff that was recommended, nothing worked so far. Naturally I hesitate to buy something that again won't work.

The soap scum is a mineral deposit and I can't see how steam is helping.

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:
    just wipe clean and keep the fan running after shower, and it should be fine.
    Wipe clean is a good suggestion, I have those window cleaner things in the shower, takes 5 Seconds, use fan won't do anything to the glass though.

A good solution to avoid soap scum is - don't use soap! This will not happen with shower gel.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast