Like Tree7Likes

Electronic door locks

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    the lockset for an electronic lock is much bigger than a traditional key lockset. you can't remove the electronic lock and replace it with a traditional key lockset.
    I am trying to remember mine when I installed it. I believe I didn't make a hole in the door to replace my existing lock, just had to chisel at the door and door trim to fit the long plate.

In this case I think it would be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by stanleyliving:
    Also check your tenancy agreement. Most agreements contain a clause stating that the Tenant is not to make additions or alterations to the premises without first obtaining written permission from the Landlord.
    I don't think this would apply to the door lock. It's quite common for the tenant to change the locks. In fact if you don't then probably 10 different property agencies have a key to your flat and who knows who made a copy of the key.
    chuckster007 likes this.

Heres some choices. You can see the electronic lock is installed at the handle and you remove your old deadbolt and it's covered by the electronic lock.

So you may need to make the hole slightly bigger both on the door and within the trim. Then if your old lock is small you might just buy a fat or bigger lock that's cheap to replace when you leave otherwise you will have a gap. I've seen some use a plate similar to a washer and screw to cover the gap but that looks a bit ghetto. Get something that matches at lease if you do that.

First time you do it. It's a bitch. But then it gets easier and you have a new skill.

I remember the install fee was $700 so if you don't mind that then it isn't that bad. I am more hands on and I would rather save the $700.

merchantms likes this.

Prices range 2600-5600 and I think the 3200 one is good. I'd try to get a couple hundred knocked off.

Sorry. iPhone autocorrect sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    I don't think this would apply to the door lock. It's quite common for the tenant to change the locks. In fact if you don't then probably 10 different property agencies have a key to your flat and who knows who made a copy of the key.
    Ugh good point! Hadn't even thought about that...OK I definitely want to change it then.

Original Post Deleted
    The lock can be powered from the outside with a 9V battery in case the installed batteries are flat. There are two metal pins behind a cover just for that. Fingerprint seems to be more secure than just a key. Can't pick an electronic lock and they come with integrated temper alarm.
    MandM! likes this.

Yes, there is the two pins that you can use a 9V battery to give it power. You should turn off the sensor that automatically turns the light on with motion, this will KILL the battery so fast. Once I turned that off, I can't remember the last time I changed the batteries, it lasts a long time. Get the real batteries, not the cheap ones.

There is in fact a key though on these locks, so in theory it could be picked, but it would be extremely difficult I would think due to the angle and the key looks high tech. You have to pull apart the lock on the outside and it can be accessed from the bottom.

The alarm is super quiet, my phone rings much louder than the alarm.

You pull off the bottom cover and there is a key hole on the bottom. Example here.