Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By rani
  • 1 Post By Scorpio01
  • 3 Post By orel100x

Fridge repair master?

Closed Thread

Question Fridge repair master?

Hi everyone,

My fridge doesn't work (the freezer is actually fine, but the lower chamber is room temperature). The landlord should take care of it, he says he will, but he is quite slow in finding someone to look at it. So, anyone can recommend a reliable person to take care of the problem? Ideally speaking both Cantonese and (some) English, reliable and not too expensive

You need to call the service centre. They'll ask you the model # and what the problem is. The repairman will usually bring the parts with him so will fix it on the spot. Costs abou $400-500 for the visit and maybe a couple hundred for parts.

shri likes this.

If it's young enough. They refused to come and look at our 10 year old fridge freezer saying they no longer kept parts for that model.

I don't know for sure, but the fridge does looks respectably old. Probably not my age, but still...

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    If it's young enough. They refused to come and look at our 10 year old fridge freezer saying they no longer kept parts for that model.
    Guess depends on the Manuf. Ours is an American brand and well over 10 years.

it is a common problem in frost free fridges,
    turn off the fridge, open the freezer and remove its contents, put a fan in front and let it run for 1 hour and then turn the fridge on again, all will be ok

this happens when frost builds up on the cooling coils/fan and blocks the air channels which moves the air inside the fridge.

if you are technically inclined then you may open the freezer compartment panels and use some hot water to clean from inside and check if there is no blockage in the water drainage as well.

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio01:
    it is a common problem in frost free fridges,
    turn off the fridge, open the freezer and remove its contents, put a fan in front and let it run for 1 hour and then turn the fridge on again, all will be ok

this happens when frost builds up on the cooling coils/fan and blocks the air channels which moves the air inside the fridge.

if you are technically inclined then you may open the freezer compartment panels and use some hot water to clean from inside and check if there is no blockage in the water drainage as well.
    Oh, that's an interesting thought.

I'll switch it off for a day, see if it helps. I'm not using it at the moment anyway...

All well what ends well - I switched the bloody device off for about 24 hours and after wiping the kitchen floor a few times, the fridge it back to life. @Scorpio01 - thanks for the advice.

Scorpio01, East_coast and shri like this.