Like Tree17Likes

Huge problem with renovator

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    Adding to @MandM!

Get a hidden CCTV. They are very cheap. Best is get a 4-channel CCTV VCR. One channel above your door, one channel for the door spy.
    Any advise on which hidden CCTV I should use?

Quote Originally Posted by ccyuen:
    Any advise on which hidden CCTV I should use?
    it depends on your building. A door spy cam is easiest. The Cams need wiring. Please are plenty of small and cheap cams out there.

The HDD VCRs have usually a video motion trigger, so you get only something recorded when something moves.

WECL in SSP has a very good cam and recorder selection.

WECL Online
    ccyuen likes this.

I had a similar experience with a contractor before! Seems like this is a common problem in Hong Kong even for locals. I've heard many of the contractors failed to complete their work and would simply disappear and turn off their phones. My friend tried to report it to the police too and was told the same thing. Luckily I found a reputable and english-speaking contractor in the end. He's not cheap but his work was of high quality and he's easy to communicate with.

Good luck ccyuen!

Quote Originally Posted by hklocal:
    I had a similar experience with a contractor before! Seems like this is a common problem in Hong Kong even for locals. I've heard many of the contractors failed to complete their work and would simply disappear and turn off their phones. My friend tried to report it to the police too and was told the same thing. Luckily I found a reputable and english-speaking contractor in the end. He's not cheap but his work was of high quality and he's easy to communicate with.

Good luck ccyuen!
    Not just HK. Used to be common in UK too. Before the EU sent lots of reliable Polish contractors.
    z754103 and ccyuen like this.

Interesting because I just had some work done in the states. I simply called for a quotation and it was a big job. Entire sewer line replacement. We told him we wanted it done then never heard from him. I was calling and setting up other appointments too. Then suddenly he called and said it's done. This is like a 2-3 day job plus need inspection by the city. Then he called because he wanted to get paid. I was sceptical at first (living in Hk too long, lol) so I asked for photos of the work and I checked the city inspection report. Then paid him. So they did the work first then asked to be paid after.

Then paid him.
    Sucker!! You've obviously not been in HK long enough.

(But good job!)
    MandM! likes this.

The thought did cross my mind and ways to ask for further discount. Lol.

For the time being, they have been pretty quiet; but I just found out that his company is not certified to carry out electrical works, after checking with the Electricity Legislation Division. The ELD now want to pursue the matter and charge him, but I am worried that the contractor will know its me and come after me using triads, any view to help me make a decision on whether to step up allow ELD to state my name and make use of the quotation.

@ccyuen - often contractors will quote you, but sub-contract the work to a licensed person. Are you sure that the person who actually did the work is not licensed?

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    @ccyuen - often contractors will quote you, but sub-contract the work to a licensed person. Are you sure that the person who actually did the work is not licensed?
    No, I can't be sure whether the guys who executed the work were licensed or not, however, my understanding from speaking to the ELD is that the contractor who quotes must be a licensed entity.
    shri likes this.