Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By drumbrake
  • 2 Post By rani
  • 6 Post By Cwbguy

Able to renovate rental?

Closed Thread

Lightbulb Able to renovate rental?

Hi all!

Just wondering if you are able to renovate a rental if you get it in writing from the owner/landlord? Nothing major just for example a fresh coat of paint.

Is this doable?
    Thanks!

Depends on the colour. The landlord will not mind if you are going to paint in neutral colours which no future tenant would object to. If you are planning on something very different, then you might need to commit to repainting (or paying for someone to do it) before you move out.

shri and WMDS like this.

Quote Originally Posted by VanessT:
    Hi all!

Just wondering if you are able to renovate a rental if you get it in writing from the owner/landlord? Nothing major just for example a fresh coat of paint.

Is this doable?
    Thanks!
    Don't overdo the renovations. Have heard of renters getting kicked out after a year when the landlord realises he can ask for a higher rent after the upgrades
    Cwbguy and shri like this.

Our office lease (yes, slightly different) requires that we put our office back in the same condition we found it - so any improvements have to be removed. You then negotiate with the landlord at the end about whether or not to actually do it.....!

Quote Originally Posted by rani:
    Don't overdo the renovations. Have heard of renters getting kicked out after a year when the landlord realises he can ask for a higher rent after the upgrades
    Was speaking to a couple the other day who rather naively did some redecorating before the lease had been signed.

Landlord sees this and raises the rent several thousand $, "take it or leave it".

Got to love HK LL's! NOT.

Definitely get the approval in writing / email / text msg or whatever and keep it for safe keeping. Dont do drastic color changes or you will have to have it re-painted or your deposit deducted to cover the re-painting costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    The best way to deal with an asshole, is to be one
    If I were in this shitty situation, I would..
    *Tell the LL I'd be moving out in 2 months and wouldn't be paying the rent (Use up the deposit)
    *Undercoat the paint I did
    Name:  2_painting_tools_01.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  123.9 KB
    *Wish the LL the best of luck finding a tenant willing to pay a higher rent.

Wow! thank you for all of this information, I am saving it and printing it out haha yeah it was more a fresh white paint, nothing major. Good point on the raise of rent etc thank you very much for your responses!! Thank god for the Internet

Vanessa

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    Was speaking to a couple the other day who rather naively did some redecorating before the lease had been signed.

Landlord sees this and raises the rent several thousand $, "take it or leave it".

How SLEASY!