Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By chingleutsch

Legal to Expand Window Height?

Closed Thread

Legal to Expand Window Height?

Hi All-

Can someone tell me if it is legal to expand the width or height of my exterior windows? I have noticed other flats in my buildings with different sizes, and I am itching to get some more natural light into my flat. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by mobespierre:
    Hi All-
    Can someone tell me if it is legal to expand the width or height of my exterior windows? I have noticed other flats in my buildings with different sizes, and I am itching to get some more natural light into my flat. Thank you!
    Chances are : no, its illegal but lots of people do it - till they get caught

If it's an older building you might be able to get away with it, albeit it is not legal. Many people don't mind to make changes, usually ones that are more temporary structures/changes so that if the government complained it's easily reversed until they are satisfied then you can put it back up again later. :-p

How old is the building, what kind of management structure does the building/ complex have, and how big are the windows already?

If you're an owner, the management allows external alterations, and your windows are currently the standard sort of late-20th-century size, then enlarging them is unlikely to compromise structural integrity. Also, local contractors are well-accustomed to doing work like that without having stuff fall down outside.
    If you do get the go-ahead for such works, do note that you will need to move everything out of the directly affected rooms and make sure that stuff in the other rooms is either easily wipe-clean, or wrapped in dust-proof coverings. You yourself will almost certainly need to vacate the flat for the duration of the renovations.
    Oh yes - and because concrete dust is so abrasive, you probably need to count on having your floors re-done after the windows have been finished.

I've had friends who had this done as part of a total renovation and they're happy with the results, but they did need to move out for 3 months.

shri likes this.

If something falls from a height, well you are always responsible. I think some estates don't report it to the police, but if it falls onto a public sidewalk or street, likely someone will make a complaint to the police. Anyway if it ever happens to you, keep your mouth shut. You will be prosecuted in ALL circumstances, both tenant and landlord. If no one is hurt, a penalty. If someone is hurt, jail time.

It's illegal to change the external facade ( including window height) without approval from the buildings Department of HK. If you want to make any change, hire an authorized person to make submissions for you and then it could be legally done.

Changed mine and its been 15 years. BD has sent me letters and come by a few times but no action whatsoever so far.