Like Tree16Likes

My Renovation - Importing Appliances

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by big_panda:
    I'm about to embark on a full reno. Where did you buy your tiles and bathroom fittings? Also in SZ? I might go out there and take a look one weekend soon.
    We bought ours from Wanchai Lockhart Road. You can also check the shops near Mongkok

I do agree that what is seen in the shops in SZ are quite nice and prices reasonable compared to Hong Kong. There are discounts but not huge discounts.

My only concern is what will actually be delivered. I thought maybe the showroom would have better quality versions on the floor and what you get well who knows. Too many elements there. Whether the shop is honest then the logistics and through customs headache. I doubt there is any protection should you have a problem.

Try first with one item. See how it goes. Then order more. My opinion.

Those ceiling lights. I can't remember what I paid. I got them in Hk. They are not expensive.

Plus free install and delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by rani:
    We bought ours from Wanchai Lockhart Road. You can also check the shops near Mongkok
    Thanks im well aware of those places in HK. Plan to visit SZ to see if any significant price difference.

When we were renovating we did go to Shunde as well. Prices are cheaper for sure. You need to find an agent to help you export everything and then a local contractor to help you install.

Quote Originally Posted by flemishgiant:
    Did you receive your purchases? I am interested because I am planning to order my home appliances from them too. I've been warned by my designer architect that she thinks this website sounds dodgy. She's never heard of them. She's also concerned about the warranty and said it might not cover the appliances in HK. What did you find out?

But I am tempted by them because the savings is huge and even with shipping it is way cheaper than HK and a lot more models to choose from. I find it strange that they don't advertise. I've been researching for weeks and their name never popped up in any of my searches. I just happened to stumble upon them when googling an image of a particular model of appliance.
    Yes! I guess I should really be posting an update about my renovation progress. Just received my stuff about 2 months after clicking purchase on the website, took about 3 weeks for the individual items to arrive at their warehouse and then about 5 weeks to ship it over.

Your designer is just like any other illusioned HKer which is how shops in Hong Kong are making crazy lucrative money! Regarding the warranty, i'm not sure yet but after 1 year your HK product would be out of warranty anyway and for the price of HK, you can literally buy more than 2, I'll gladly take the "risk". Like I said, it's not that this website is insanely cheap, it's that HK is insanely expensive! I'm sure your designer would think differently if she was actually paying the money like you and me right now. The items look pretty genuine if you ask me!

So to share with everyone, what happens is that I received an email that the shipment would be arriving in Hong Kong a day or 2 before the actual arrival. Attached to the email were a few documents which I had to sign and bring to the logistics company's office (in this case DSV). What I didn't know or expect was the handling charge in Hong Kong. DSV charged about $500 for handling, another $500 for "documentation" and about $400 for the "service charge".

2 days after the shipment arrived, I got another email informing me that the container was unpacked and the package was ready for collection. I went to the DSV office in an industrial building in Kwai Fong, paid the charges in cash and was told that the items had been sent to a warehouse in Kam Tin! Once again, another surprise here, there was a $570 "warehouse fee" which was charged by the warehouse (not DSV) regardless of how long they kept your item for, anything more than 4 days, additional charges would apply. Finally made my way to Kam Tin and after much difficulty found the warehouse in the middle of nowhere with tens of container trucks loading and unloading. I had to get a gogovan truck to pick it up which costs a bit as well.

Conclusion is if you're buying just 1 or 2 appliances, I recommend importappliances instead just for less hassle and shipping by air does not have all those charges mentioned above. In my case I had about 6 appliances and each of them was 3-5k cheaper than importappliances.hk (or 10-15k cheaper than HK!) so even with the extra logistic charges it definitely paid off in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    I do agree that what is seen in the shops in SZ are quite nice and prices reasonable compared to Hong Kong. There are discounts but not huge discounts.

My only concern is what will actually be delivered. I thought maybe the showroom would have better quality versions on the floor and what you get well who knows. Too many elements there. Whether the shop is honest then the logistics and through customs headache. I doubt there is any protection should you have a problem.

Try first with one item. See how it goes. Then order more. My opinion.
    After ordering quite a number of items from SZ, I have to admit that their customer service and attitude is actually way better than the rude HKers we normally encounter in the shops. I was pleasantly shocked myself! Nearly every shop I went to had very helpful owner-run businesses and were very flexible with various needs I might have had.

For example the lighting guy who I bought all the light fittings and schneider switches was very understanding about how easy it is to make ordering mistakes when renovating and was happy to offer a cash refund for any unused item even if they were opened from the box. Something I have never encountered in HK for sure.

That lobby looks like Tung Chung ?

Quote Originally Posted by streamer:
    After ordering quite a number of items from SZ, I have to admit that their customer service and attitude is actually way better than the rude HKers we normally encounter in the shops. I was pleasantly shocked myself! Nearly every shop I went to had very helpful owner-run businesses and were very flexible with various needs I might have had.

For example the lighting guy who I bought all the light fittings and schneider switches was very understanding about how easy it is to make ordering mistakes when renovating and was happy to offer a cash refund for any unused item even if they were opened from the box. Something I have never encountered in HK for sure.
    The service is quite good in SZ, I agree. I just wasn't that sure about ordering from them. You can find local shops that are nice, if they have a poor attitude I quickly leave, but I have my go to shops for many things in HK.