Like Tree6Likes

Setting up electricity, gas, water and internet

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Setting up electricity, gas, water and internet

Hi all,

I'm moving into a new place in a couple of weeks and I need to get set up with electricity, gas, water and internet. I was wondering how long companies normally take to do that and is it necessary for a technician to visit the house? I'm moving in two days after I get the keys and not sure if that's enough time to get everything connected?

Thanks!

Water / Electricity - No need for visits, usually just involves transferring the account from the landlord's name to yours.

Internet - can of worms... lots of threads on how to setup an internet account, depending on where you live.

Home internet - can of worms indeed...need advice

Ahh...about that can of worms...we have been trying to set up home internet with PCCW/HKT and the technician just showed up and said it cannot be installed. It's very confusing when the previous tenant had internet/cable tv and we are not able to install. Any advice??? Thanks in advance..

Quote Originally Posted by megapsych:
    Ahh...about that can of worms...we have been trying to set up home internet with PCCW/HKT and the technician just showed up and said it cannot be installed. It's very confusing when the previous tenant had internet/cable tv and we are not able to install. Any advice??? Thanks in advance..
    Some buildings only have one internet provider servicing it, like a monopoly. This may be the case in your building so the previous tenant probably was not with PCCW. The most common other providers are iCable or HKBN so you should check with them first.

However, usually they would check your address first to see if they can provide the service, so it was a bit silly them sending the technician, doh!
    megapsych likes this.

Did you switch providers? Often that involves pulling a new cable / fiber through rather small ducts / pipes and PCCW in particular gives up easily (I am assuming because they subcontract out). HKBN installers try a little bit harder.

This is what happened with us. HKBN customer for 3-4 years now.
    megapsych likes this.

Thanks for the advice...will try hkbn and see how I go.
    M

Last two times I moved. The property agent did all the paper works for me (utilities, internet etc).

megapsych likes this.

Just checked with HKBN and they don't provide service to my building. It seems so odd to live n the heart of the island and not be able to obtain cable service. I had better service in India... Thanks for all your suggestions.

Just checked with HKBN and they don't provide service to my building. It seems so odd to live n the heart of the island and not be able to obtain cable service. I had better service in India... Thanks for all your suggestions.
    Unfortunately some buildings have exclusive arrangements with PCCW.

HEY!

Just go to their website and punch in your address to see if there is coverage or not. My flat can only use one provider

megapsych likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast