Like Tree29Likes

Exterior Renovation of rental flat - negotiations

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by quantzie:
    Of course, there might be a few places that fit the description in the document. If the place I was staying fit was like that, I too would have a conversation with the landlord. During my house hunting a few months ago, I viewed some properties that were undergoing such renovations. Not once did I feel that the place would be in a condition where it is deemed "unliveable".
    Non-functioning air conditioners in HK heat combined with blocked windows... you'd call that livable? In so far as someone should pay money to live in a place like that?

Original Post Deleted
    If the unit has non-functioning airconditioners and blocked windows like that, obviously there is reason to fight back. Right now the unit hasn't even started renovations. How would you cancel a contract based on a potential future problem that hasn't happened at all?

Yes jgl & The Brit, I see operable windows, a/c and daylight as a pretty basic part of my flat.
    I don't see how not providing this is not in breach of the tenancy contract. Why I should be paying any rent during this time is beyond me.
    For them to also not have a fixed start or end date or to even be able to provide the extent of the works is mindbogling. And I'm suppose to be 'happy' with a 10% rent reduction?
    HK is a messed up place, particularly when there are people arguing the landlord's side. Poor landlords!

It depends on how much external renovation is being done. My building has just completed theirs over a period of about 7 months, and my air con still worked during that time. the windows were covered by semi transparent plastic though that was only for a couple of months when they were doing painting on the outside. It was a bit darker inside due to the scaffolding but i could live with it because i was at work most of the day anyway.

I also think some people overestimate the reasons for the landlord to do the renovation when they usually have little say. I certainly didn't ask for it to happen and was a bit miffed at paying 100k for work which i didn't think was necessary. But i'm just one vote amongst a whole building (i didn't even get the colour scheme i voted for!). When you think about it like that, the extra rent he can charge will still take several years to recoup the costs.

Its supposed to make it nicer and safer for the tenant to live in once completed. You are just unlucky to be the tenant living there when the actual work is being done.

If they had known about it, i think it should be the landlord and agents responsibility to tell you about upcoming renovations. But that is not legally the requirement now unless you ask.

DrWho and drumbrake like this.

Hmm
    Quantzie, do you always wait for a problem to happen before reacting?
    I prefer to anticipate in advance. It's not rocket science, its exterior renovation that is carried out in HK all the time. The landlord should be able to provide the details of the extent of the work and how it will impact my flat.
    And have you tried 'talking' with a HK landlord before?
    I'm just asking for helpful advise here from people who may have been in the same situation.

UK/HKboy, thanks, gives me some hope that the renovation may not be as bad as some of the horror stories I've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    It depends on how much external renovation is being done. My building has just completed theirs over a period of about 7 months, and my air con still worked during that time. the windows were covered by semi transparent plastic though that was only for a couple of months when they were doing painting on the outside. It was a bit darker inside due to the scaffolding but i could live with it because i was at work most of the day anyway.
    Yes - external renovation of a building that is painted is far, far less painful than external renovation of one which is tiled. I went through the latter a few years ago. It took nearly two years instead of the advertised one, the noise in the strip off the old tiles stage was horrendous, and the quality of work was quite poor to the extent that about 10% of the apartments (including mine) needed subsequent remedial work to fix leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by BCD:
    Hmm
    Quantzie, do you always wait for a problem to happen before reacting?
    I prefer to anticipate in advance. It's not rocket science, its exterior renovation that is carried out in HK all the time. The landlord should be able to provide the details of the extent of the work and how it will impact my flat.
    And have you tried 'talking' with a HK landlord before?
    I'm just asking for helpful advise here from people who may have been in the same situation.
    I'm sorry if my tone sounded harsh but it seemed like the topic was on how the owner would make money from this. When does your contract expire or the option for renegotiations come up? If you could get the scope of work for the renovations, you could get a clearer picture. But based on what you want, I think the best way would be for you to find a similar place since the renovations are unavoidable? As you said, the renovations are being planned so you should be able to cancel your contract by then

It may be wise in the future to include a clause in the contract should major exterior renovations take place.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Master:
    It may be wise in the future to include a clause in the contract should major exterior renovations take place.
    No landlord will accept a contract that has such a clause.

And why should they!?!
    jrkob likes this.