Like Tree10Likes

Open kitchen - gas stove

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Open kitchen - gas stove

I bought an apartment with an open kitchen with a gas stove.

I have tried to google but I cannot seem to find any definitive answers on what the fire safety / buildings department regulations are regarding open kitchens.

Is it ok to have an open kitchen with a gas stove? If not, what would I need to change? Switch to electric stove? And / or is a sprinkler and fire alarm required?

I have already looked into changing from gas to electric stove but have encountered the following problems:

• I only have 1 power line to the kitchen. My contractor says I need to have a separate one installed which may or may not be possible depending on the location? and wiring of my fuse box; I also talked to someone at fortress and they said I may have a limitation on the amount of electric power I can use in my apartment so I would need to check with my building management
    • My contractor said I could install an electric cooker to my existing power line but if I use it at the same time as my oven my fuse will blow. Does that sound right?

What are the ramifications if I don't make any changes to my current open kitchen situation? Is it just that fire insurance wouldn't cover any damage? Anything else?

If someone could clarify what the actual regulations are, ramification of not changing and also recommend an electrician who could help me sort this out, that would be great! Or point me in the right direction of someone who could answer these questions, I would really appreciate it.

I would change to induction, it's much cleaner, better to regulate, safer, better efficiency, and has more power.

And I don't think regulations worry too many people here, and it wouldn't worry me. Unless you run a commercial kitchen that has inspections from time to time.

penguinator and MABinPengChau like this.

Thanks Shri, I found that document as well. The open kitchen renovation was never declared to the buildings department, I believe it was done before 2011 and I am not sure it was ever built in accordance with the code of practice, so I'm not sure whether there is any requirement regarding the cooking stove. However, I shall give the fire services department a call and see if they can give me some hypothetical guidance, thanks.

TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by penguinator:
    I shall give the fire services department a call
    If there was any wall removed I would refrain from any official advice that could lead to a removal order. But it's your call.
    penguinator and shri like this.

I wouldn't worry about it. Been to tons of flats with recent renovations with open kitchen and gas stoves. The rule is openly flouted. To make it compliant, the easiest fix is to switch to an electric stove, or leave it as is. As someone else said, if you call the fire department, that is asking for trouble...

Quote Originally Posted by big_panda:
    I wouldn't worry about it. Been to tons of flats with recent renovations with open kitchen and gas stoves. The rule is openly flouted. To make it compliant, the easiest fix is to switch to an electric stove, or leave it as is. As someone else said, if you call the fire department, that is asking for trouble...
    I was going to ask them hypothetically if I bought an apartment with this set up, what would my options be to become compliant but not give them an address. I suppose my main concern is not that they would check up on me but that my insurance policy wouldn't cover any damage if there was a fire, although I guess that likelihood is quite small...

Question in addition to this, if i am just renting a place with an open kitchen and direct fire stove, what is my liabilities now ?
    which is my situation now.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    Question in addition to this, if i am just renting a place with an open kitchen and direct fire stove, what is my liabilities now ?
    which is my situation now.
    Wouldn't worry about it unless you want to complain to landlord who will likely ask you to move out!

My friend's flat just had a reno with open kitchen and gas stove. The guy that installed the stove was from Towngas, so go figure!

I wouldn't invite trouble. You can leave it as is. I imagine if something happened such as a fire that you might have blame on damages and possibly if anyone is injured. But it is a rule regularly ignored.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast