Like Tree18Likes

Good Drill for a small DIY project?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Question Good Drill for a small DIY project?

I need a drill for a small DIY project. Is the IKEA one any good? Alternatively, where can I get one reasonably cheaply? Maybe someone has a drill he/she doesn't need anymore?

The IKEA hammer drill is okay, but really quite gutless for big holes in concrete walls.

Picture hanging sized holes are doable, but that is about it.

imparanoic and East_coast like this.

DIY? Just rent those industrial strength jack hammer, thats what our neighbours seem to do on a monthly basis.

There is always a lot of second hand drills for sale on Apliu Street, Sham Shui Po. You can even drill holes in the street side kerb to test them.

orel100x, CarterTG and slowbiker like this.

SDS drill is a little more but worth the extra

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mF5sHjJTi0

Drunken Master likes this.

On HK side go to Thomson St., near the Wan Chai MTR station. Plenty of hardware shops there.

orel100x likes this.

I bought one recently from yau tsing for about $400 hkd - make sure you get at least 500w and has a hammer drill feature. Also remember to go SSP or those hardware stores and pick up a good masonry bit

orel100x likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WMDS
    DIY? Just rent those industrial strength jack hammer, thats what our neighbours seem to do on a monthly basis.
    where do you rent ones of these in HK? i know uk has rental places, but hk, not sure

I have the Ikea hammer drill (the biggest one), it's rubbish. Tried drilling a hole in my wall to put up a shelf and it couldn't do it.

orel100x likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic
    where do you rent ones of these in HK? i know uk has rental places, but hk, not sure
    Local hardware shops will generally have a big hammer drill you can rent, but you will need some Cantonese to make it happen.
    imparanoic likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast